Wetroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are having to gut the whole Bathroom in this property we have bought
and because it is so small we are going to have a wet room so as to create a more spacious look. Any advice on which wall lining product to buy (the stuff you seal the walls with on the shower/wet side before tiling) would be appreciated, and also advice on the non slip flooring which is an alternative to tiling and which I would prefer.

Sponsored Links
The backing boards which i use are called Schluter-KERDI-BOARD
http://www.schluter.com/8_1_kerdi.aspx

Theres alot of info on link above ..Too much!!!

basically you can plasterboard shower area and then prep area with the waterproof tape and adhesive making sure all corners, screw holes etc etc are covered.
Or
You can cover shower area in tile backer boards and then use the tape and adhesive to waterproof the joints and corners .
The adhesive i use is like a pva consistency and color, using a brush or roller , cover area that you are putting tape onto, put the tape in position, measure and cut length needed.
Smooth down with brush and scraper / spatular . Once dry cover tape with adhesive . Give areas 2 /3 coats

Once dry it sets like rubber and turns translucent.
This is just a general guide to explain a little of what you need to do, but obviously manufactures instructions should be followed.

Theres alot of different products but they pretty much do the same. And also your local builders mechants would be a good place to ask as i've bought many times from Travis Perkins.

Schluter is more expensive than most but its really good quality.

Have a look at the Mapei site. I use their tanking system a lot and have never had any issues. It works with any make of former too.
Jeff

We are having to gut the whole Bathroom in this property we have bought
and because it is so small we are going to have a wet room so as to create a more spacious look. Any advice on which wall lining product to buy (the stuff you seal the walls with on the shower/wet side before tiling) would be appreciated, and also advice on the non slip flooring which is an alternative to tiling and which I would prefer.

If it's a First Floor room with timber joists don't do it, it'll leak like a sieve.

Sponsored Links
Thanks - fortunately we are in a Bungalow so the wet room will be ground level
and our waste goes through the floor so we don't expect any 'leakage' problems. I am not entirely happy with having to board out the whole room - but if we only board around the 'wet' area, I am going to end up with a 'lip' either side which means the tiling going round the room won't be flush - any view on that appreciated!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back