What Do Plumbers Use Plumbers Mait For?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A few years ago, I did a lot of work on my house, inc bathroom and heating. At the time, I bought a tub of Plumbers Mait with all the other materials, but never found a use for it. It says on the tub that its used for sanitary ware.

Is it a product that isn't really used any more, or are there uses for which ordinary non-plumbing mortals can't fathom? What aspect of sanitary ware does it seal? What do you use yours for?

Sponsored Links
Hardly ever use it, other than for (rarely) packing around tap tails when there's a bit of lateral play in it as it goes through the porcelain.

as dextrous said rarely use it.
i've had more vans than i've had tubs of that sh*t

i use it to seal between bath or whb gratings, to seal CI gutter (it is like putty but does not harden and crack like putty)

Sponsored Links
I actually use it for what it is designed, but then I am odd; I hate things that others find easy, and happily do that what others consider hard.
When sticking a waste outlet on bath or sink, I tend to first do it dry. If it works, fine, leave it. If it drips, slap a load of plumber's mait around it, and job done.

sticking on the end of a long screwdriver when you drop a screw off a 3 port in the airing cupboard and it disapears down the one crack in the boards :oops:

i use it for what it was designed for, rolling into balls and using as ammunition for my 15mm copper blowpipe.

And yet, I haven't the heart to chuck it away. It's one of those things you keep just in case ;)

I'd agree wholeheartedly - with Kev and Rogue. Outdated and Useless for anything else. It comes unstuck, dries out and cracks.
My tub says 1s6d on it.

When I was an apprentice, we fashioned a male 'member', complete with two 'veg', and stuck it to the back of the foreman's van.

Well, he was a complete prick!

Think I have got the rest of the unused tub somewhere.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back