Customer does not pay, what now!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok this is not technical, but this is the best section for the questions.

I finished a bathroom to 90% of its total job, then customer gets joiner in to fit a new bathroom door.
Joiner says I could have done better myself, to which my customer thinks the job is cr*p! Trying my best not get a tussle in customers house I leave for home. Now customer says he won't pay because the he said he does not like the bathroom fit!
Job took about 7 days plus all my materials. Customer has invoice by mail (signed for) and I have spoken to Trading Standards about it.
Customer supplied all sanitary ware, lights,cabinets, fittings but not plumbing and wiring. They used the bathroom day after day all this time and never complained until said day!

Anybody know the process from here??

Sponsored Links
what did trading standards say?
They say the customer should give me a written list of points then give me "reasonable" time to correct the points to the customers satisfaction.
The work would have be "terrible" to warrant a total stop on the service provided.
The customer did not re-plaster which made the tiling very difficult indeed, but the finish was good considering (he was told of this before starting).

Sponsored Links
what did trading standards say?
They say the customer should give me a written list of points then give me "reasonable" time to correct the points to the customers satisfaction.
The work would have be "terrible" to warrant a total stop on the service provided.
The customer did not re-plaster which made the tiling very difficult indeed, but the finish was good considering (he was told of this before starting).

then small claims court is probably your only option

may be worth talking to your local CAB office.

what do you mean customer didn't plaster ?
surely if it was that bad when you priced the job you would of priced that in or got a plasterer in.

if you know thats going to affect your tiling finish you tell them no tiling unless plastered.

your the proffesional not them they don't know the difference

as you tiled and he said he wasn't going to plaster did you get him to sign saying that it will affect the finsh, but he's been advised and opted not to.

everything must have a signature and always show them your terms and conditions.

what do you mean customer didn't plaster ?
surely if it was that bad when you priced the job you would of priced that in or got a plasterer in.

if you know thats going to affect your tiling finish you tell them no tiling unless plastered.

your the proffesional not them they don't know the difference

as you tiled and he said he wasn't going to plaster did you get him to sign saying that it will affect the finsh, but he's been advised and opted not to.

everything must have a signature and always show them your terms and conditions.

I know that getting the customer to sign and sign again is the best course for me but thats not easy when cups of coffee and biscuits are be given every half hour. Would make me look a right ***t!
Some tradesmen have contracts for "house-bashing" but like me most don't. It will be the norm from now on, but still need my money off this clown.

Send a registered letter with final demand for pay giving them 2 weeks to pay in full. Also let them know that every letter from now on will be charged £30.
If you are convinced you did a proper job, let them know that you will get a ccj against them. it is generally called –small claims court- though it is not the correct term. Google the subject , scj, and you will find a lot of info.
A good debt collection team is expensive, but can be very effective. I heard that Heavies R Us have 99% success rate.
I am currently dealing with same situation. Customer is property lawyer working for very large company. So far my own efforts have resulted in offer of paying half the bill and customer know paying a lot of money for another lawyer to advice her.
One downside though. if the customer can plead poverty and does not care about a ccj, there is not much you can do legally. A bad credit rating must be important enough for them to pay you.
You can also search the forum here for more info.

Don't get mad, just get even.

As long as you're prepared to go to court, you won't have any problem getting paid. It's those who are scared of appearing who end up losing out.

Just set out your terms in writing, giving a clear deadline, leaving out all emotion and emotive words, and wait. If the deadline passes then write stating "Notice before proceedings", giving a final seven days, and then, if no money appears, make your court application online.

It's incredibly easy and, if what you've written is accurate, this customer has no leg to stand on.

Ok this is not technical, but this is the best section for the questions.

I finished a bathroom to 90% of its total job, then customer gets joiner in to fit a new bathroom door.
Joiner says I could have done better myself, to which my customer thinks the job is cr*p! and never complained until said day!

Anybody know the process from here??
Follow Softus` advice ...I smell a scam here :mad: Perhaps the customer knew the joiner and "primed" him :idea: I trust no-one :evil: ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back