what is lead flash?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I got a quote that said lead flash and a days work for two men - what I received was flashband after two and a half hours...

Is it right that "in the trade" lead flash actually means lead look (in the dark if you squint) flashband?

Is it right that a trader quotes to the public in "trade speak" without explaining

When someone says lead to me I expect lead.

I get that you talk codings when it comes to lead and my existing flashing is code 4 but I did not realise that without mentioning a code that "lead" wasn't lead - am I the only person this stupid?

Sponsored Links
How much did they quote you?

A quote is legally binding.

An estimate is NOT.

Lead flashing is lead. Flashband is a complete bodge!

Andy

Agree with Andy, sounds like you have been taken for a ride. Flashbad is a diy quick fix product for shed roofs and favoured by connie companies.

Was definitely a quote - it said in the summary a lead flash band (I figured this was just a band of lead it did not cross my mind he meant flashband which is not lead) esp. as in the detail it said "we would lead flash underneath this existing lead down onto approximately 4 inches of your ... roof"

The quote was £500

Other thing is I wouldn't have got anyone in to flashband the thing when I could do that myself. especially as the remedial work that was being carried out had no guarantee there was no advantage to me to pay a company to do it for me...

Sponsored Links
That would be a shed load of flashband for £500... you paid him yet?

Not paid him yet still missing a part he was getting for me - included in the 500 but cannot thing the part was more than a tenner!

What do I do? He is adamant his quote was clear and that anyone in the trade would know he meant flashband... I pointed out I am not the trade and even if I was I don't think his quote is clear...

Right now I don't want to pay him anything - aside from for the part if he gets it and fits it - I was also very disappointed with the way it was carried out and what they did in my garden - not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things just NOT professional!

About 20 quids worth of work, pay him that and how him the door. There is, and never has been Lead and Flashband used in the same sentence by a tradesman.

Can you post a pic? deffo dont pay him! as xenon said there is no lead in flashband and is not comparable.
Out of interest what is the length of the flashing?.

You`ve been caught by Roy and Pete - Diddacai Roy and P*key Pete :cry: Sorry , M8 it`s a fact the roofing game is riddled with travelling Chancers . £500 would have got you a proper job by an old skool plumber like me But I`d have had to check out the price of a conservatory scaffold to work off in comfort and safety , so it might`ve been a bit more . I`d have leadburned little caps to go over the glazing bars - In fact I could have stayed on the ground with my burning kit and fabricated pieces that you could have fitted into place using access you felt happy with .

About 20 quids worth of work, pay him that and how him the door. There is, and never has been Lead and Flashband used in the same sentence by a tradesman.
To paraphrase George Orwell ( 1984) Lead good , Flashband bad . ;) There, used in the same sentence and involved classic literature too :mrgreen:

"Lead flash" on a quote means lead flashing. Made up from "lead", the material, and flash, the operation or component

If anything else other than lead was to be used I would expect terms such as

Non-lead alternative flashing
Flashband (or other proprietary name)
Self-adhesive flashing
Bitumen based aluminium flashing strip

Note that "Flashband" is not lead, so there can not be any "lead Flashband". Also Flashband is a one-word proprietary product. It is not "flash band"

If someone writes "lead flash band", then I would expect a band of lead flash(ing)

If someone writes "lead flash band" intending to mean "non-lead self adhesive Flashband" then they are out to con you In which case don't pay for the work as it was not as per the agreed quotation /acceptance (ie legally binding contractual relations) and offer to refer the matter to trading standards

Not even worth £20! total chancer. i would'nt let him back near my property.

A 3m roll code 4 150mm is twenty odd quid here Dressed under the existing apron and over the glazing bars.

The trouble is we are telling the OP that he has been mugged and don't pay them. He will be the one telling 2 blokes to bugger off your not getting your money.

Most people don't like getting knocked, especially the conmen!!

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back