What is this cable................

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
40 metres of this given to me by a neighbour. He has had it for some time.

View media item 4712
View media item 4713
View media item 4714
It is clear plastic coated, metal meshed under that, then 3 core, earth, brown and blue surrounded in plastic/rubber.

Is there a remote chance, :rolleyes: that I could use it to carry power, from a new CU to a smaller CU in a new workshop I am building. A qualified Sparky would carry out the work i hasten to add.

Or is it destined for the local scrap yard?

Sponsored Links
Yep SY flex.

What is the proposed route? It isn't really very good for being installed outdoors.

Also, it is difficult to guage the CSA of the conductors, so it is hard to say wether it is suitable really.

Sponsored Links
"not suitable as a replacement for SWA though"

And that means..........................?

Sorry RF we posted at the same time.

The route?. Yes, about 15m outside, under a concrete path then up conduit into the workshop.

Then no it is not suitable.

SWA cable is what you require, as TTC was inferring.

Thank you both for your prompt replies. SWA it is then.

Known differently in different areas.

We know it as "armour flex" or "SY cable".

HORRIBLE stuff.

The sheath goes brittle in a relatively short time, and it cant really be called a flex, as this brittleness overtime causes the cable to breakdown and require replacement.

Yukky yukky crappy stuff.

SY originally developed for robotics in car factories etc I was informed by a supplier.
I once found hundreds of mtrs of the stuff made up into extension leads with 16 and 32 amp 5 pin industrial sockets hung on the ends, no earthing of the outer braid either for 3 phase feeds to chiller lorries parked up in yards.

The braid is i'm told a bit of a pita to terminate too, requiring special SY gland packs.

SY is often used in conjunction with Air Conditioning installs, where yuo will fing it lashed to the same cable tray as the AC pipes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back