What size boiler in loft? *

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help please: We are being told that boilers bigger than 28kw cannot be fitted in a loft.

Is that correct or are we being misled ? We understand the dimensions necessary around the boiler, but are being told that 'bigger than 28 cannot go in the loft'.

Is that correct and if not, what are the rules?
Many thanks

Andy

Sponsored Links
Never heard of that, I have definately fiited a 30kw combi in a loft.
Any reason someone wants to mislead you?

Sponsored Links
Some manufacturers do not like or approve of their larger boilers being fitted in lofts/attics. I belive it is to do with the weight/size of heat exchanger and the problems incurred if an in warranty call is required.

If memory serves right i dont think WB like the larger Greenstars up in the heavens.

Pick your boiler then check the installation guide or call makers for advice.

They don't permit the hiflows in the loft, (can't see how you would lift one up there anyway) no problem with fitting a higher output boiler in the loft, as long as gas is sized correctly.

Wll the loft have fixed boarding and a light then can't see a problem. I have fitted 42cdi & 37cdi's as well as Remeha 39c in lofts. If it's a one man band that will also explain it, the worcesters would be a 2 man lift.

I always advise against any boiler going in a loft. I charge more for working on them when fitted up there if there are any safety concerns.
A failure of certain parts can more commonly result in steam issues wherever a boiler is fitted above the highest radiator.

Many thanks for all the helpful comments and advice.

The loft is fully floored, has 3 walls plastered, , is 6ft high at the apex tapering to 3 ft. There is lighting and a large clear breeze block gable end. Access is via a large ( 1170 x 560mm) hatch, up an extending ladder.

I suppose it is more of an attic than a loft. We use it as an extra store room frankly, with everything from books, to CDs and suitcases up there.

I'll say who the installer is and what the context is in a later post.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back