What size machine screw is Sink Waste

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need to replace sink drain plug (due to leak), bought new kit, but screw is to short. As you see in this image previous person has used a bolt.
I need to buy new screw what diameter is it? it measures at 4/5 mm not easy to measure, also what head is it, although that's not that important.

Attachments

• sink.jpg
    sink.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 429
Sponsored Links
May be an M4 or M5 countersunk ...

Or stop being cheap and just buy a new waste for £3 with everything in it ..... ;)

You'll need to measure the diameter of the screw properly. Put it on a ledge with a block of wood (or similar) either side, close the wood to the threaded part of the screw, make sure the two blocks are parallel and measure the gap.

Alternatively, wrap a piece of paper round the screwed part, pinch it tight, mark the points either side, flatten out, measure between the lines, multiply by 7 and divide by 22 to give (approximate) diameter.

The diameter is likely to be a little smaller than the nominal size of the screw, say 3.9mm for M4, 4.9mm for M5, 5,9mm for M6.

Try and get a stainless steel screw.

Need to replace sink drain plug (due to leak), bought new kit, but screw is to short. As you see in this image previous person has used a bolt.
I need to buy new screw what diameter is it? it measures at 4/5 mm not easy to measure, also what head is it, although that's not that important.
=======
I bought a new waste. The screw wasn't long enough. It would have been OK for a stainless steel sink, why don't they just supply a long screw that will work on all sinks.
I ordered 4 & 5 mm screws it was a 5mm x 50mm that did the trick

Sponsored Links
I got a waste kit from PTS and the flippin screw is about 15 mm too long for s/steel - lucky I've got a power screwdriver(y)

HeHe ironmongers, I live in the sticks.
Guess the size, order on Ebay & wait.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back