What to do with 5cm at end of bath?

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The space for my bath is 175cm and max 70cm wide. I've seen some baths 1750x750, but none 1750x700.

How best to fill the space? I was thinking if seeing of the local stone workshop can do an off cut - I bought a cheapish one before, and suspect that small offcuts must be common when doing kitchens etc (although I guess most are going to be 600mm deep).

Could stick in a wood batten and tile it? Planning to do it at the tap end though, so needs to be done well, water tight etc.

Want it to look nice. Wife thought the offcut idea would be nice and could be used as a small shelf, so could be practical... but also expensive!

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
If you are at the 1st fix stage of the bath install, i'd consider pulling the whole wall out and recess the bath into the 3 sides so that you can use a proper aqua strap.

That's a good point, I hadn't thought of the aqua strap. I have 50mm kingspan on the outside wall where the taps are going, and plumbing in place already. I can't fill in the whole space floor to bath as pipes are in the way now, but could maybe build around it somehow ...

I could do something like this, not fill height, just a bit above the bath, enough to aqua strap & tile, then something across the top, and will need an additional strip of something down the side too. With that in place, it is either going to be exactly 170cm, or a little less depending on how thin the adhesive sets ... I might be better off battening it out so it can be secured to the wall and the tile backer screwed in place. Would a bit of marine ply painted with glossy white for the side panel be OK?

IMG_20220120_160050421.jpg

Sponsored Links
The space for my bath is 175cm and max 70cm wide. I've seen some baths 1750x750, but none 1750x700.
can you explain this? are you saying the only bath available is 50mm wider than the space?

can you explain this? are you saying the only bath available is 50mm wider than the space?

Yeah, I could not find any baths that were 1750x700.
I didn't look on all the sites, but quite a few. Well, there was one, but it was a freestanding bath.

Well, if I had the bath go right up to the door frame, and move the door so it opens into the hall, then it would fit ... no idea how I would finish the edge and door frame though.

Yeah, I think that is what I am going to have to do - have a ledge.

A bi-fold door ? or a1700 bath and build the wall out and tile it. nice ledge for something
If you go down the aqua strap route, your ledge will be even bigger to give you 1/2" or so undercut on both ends.

Get an 1800 and stick it in the wall.
Won't it be hard to put the taps on?
Anyway, 1800 baths 700 wide are as rare as 1750.
Will make a shelf.

Will you tile-onto or tile-behind this bath?

I hate sealing strips with an absolute passion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back