What to do with old boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having moved house a few months ago, we decided it was time to get someone in to have a look at the boiler and let us know where we stand pre-winter. So we signed up to British Gas' HomeCare and got someone out to do a check.

Straight away, we were told two things: the air vent in the kitchen has been blocked by a new unit put in (prior to us moving in) and that the boiler is connected to the mains and doesn't have its own power supply, which may damage it if we had a power cut. Until both of these things were corrected, we could not sign up to a Home Care service - and, more importantly, they're both quite dangerous.

He also said the boiler is at least 25 years old (they stopped making parts for it in 1983) and his readings told him it was working at 65% efficiency (although he doubted it was that high). Parts for it may prove to be hard to come by if it broke down too.

So we've got a few choices - do we plump for a new boiler (it's a back boiler) or get work done on the two jobs? Apparently, both jobs would cost about £150 each to do, tops, whereas a boiler may be up to ten times that price. Money is an obvious issue.

Will we need these two jobs doing regardless of whether we get a new one?
And how easy is it to install an air vent, or shall i leave it to British Gas to do?

Attached is a picture of the gas heater we have in the kitchen, which we do not use, but should give an indication of the type of boiler, etc. I wouldn't mind having this thing ripped out - could that happen if we had a new boiler installed?

Also, is there any point signing up to the HomeCare if the boiler parts are hard to come by anyway?

Many questions, thank in advance for reading!

Heater.jpg

Sponsored Links
Straight away, we were told two things: the air vent in the kitchen has been blocked by a new unit put in (prior to us moving in)

that will need sorting

and that the boiler is connected to the mains and doesn't have its own power supply, which may damage it if we had a power cut.

it has to be connected to the mains or it wont work

or do you mean it needs a fused connection unit fitting

kevplumb said:
and that the boiler is connected to the mains and doesn't have its own power supply, which may damage it if we had a power cut.

it has to be connected to the mains or it wont work

or do you mean it needs a fused connection unit fitting

I imagine the latter!

Will i need an air vent regardless of having a new boiler put in?
If so, is it a CORGI job?

Sponsored Links
I have a feeling that the FCU is required so that it can be isolated from the electrical supply and worked on safely. This is a fairly simple electrical job.

I think the vent is needed because you have an open gas fire there. A modern room sealed boiler does not take air from the room. It is very easy to put a vent in a brick wall, using a core drill that you can hire (a bit dusty though). There will be a particular size of hole(s) that is required. Good idea of Kev's about getting the flue checked too, we don't want another Corfu on our hands.

BTW British Gas are usually the most expensive people to supply new boilers, so if going down that route, be sure to get competitive quotes from local firms, preferably ones that have been recommended to you by friends and neighbours and have been in business as the same company for some years. One thing you can say about Brit Gas is that they are most unlikely to go bust or run off with your money, and if their work is unsatisfactory you have some redress. The same would be true for a reputable and established local firm.

On average, the service plans work out more expensive than paying for repairs as you go, but it does give you confidence that you have someone to turn to if you have a problem, and if you have recently moved in this might be an advantage.

I had a similar fire with CH boiler behind a few years ago.
The vent was put discreetly in the floor behind my settee.
I bought a grill cut the carpet & drilled large holes in the floor boards.
This satisfied BGas & we had a contract for servicing.
JonB

I think you will find that your contract does not mention the word SERVICING anywhere. BG found that took far too long, the word is now SAFETY CHECK.

This allows them to do virtually nothing, on a regular annual basis.

Back to the problem!

The ventilation can be fitted by anyone, for example a builder!

However it has to comply with the regulations on size and type of vent and ideally the boiler should be checked afterwards to ensure that it operates correctly. That will need a CORGI.

Back boilers really do need to be serviced properly anually. They can cause deaths by CO poisoning.

No one should sleep in a room with a BBU.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back