What type of Consumer Unit for a house?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I seem to remember the siemens ones being around a bit later than the Mk ones of that design, I think the MK ones have all been 3871 so that is generally no later than early 90's the siemens ones (to 60898) were around in the late 90s/early 2000s, I cant recall seeing any 3871 ones, there probably were though.

There was also an MK 3phase range using that style of breaker, that must have been quite rare as I've only seen them in one building, and even rarer now as we ended up ripping them out

I seem to remember the siemens ones being around a bit later than the Mk ones of that design, I think the MK ones have all been 3871 so that is generally no later than early 90's the siemens ones (to 60898) were around in the late 90s/early 2000s, I cant recall seeing any 3871 ones, there probably were though.

There was also an MK 3phase range using that style of breaker, that must have been quite rare as I've only seen them in one building, and even rarer now as we ended up ripping them out
Oh yes the MK was quite popular in commercial properties,the panel building company I worked for about 2003 were using them but if your timings are correct I wonder if they were Siemens.

I thought I'd post an update now I've had the work done.

The sparky installed a 14 way FuseBox CU with surge protection, 8 compact RCBOs and 6 blanks. He said he's been using FuseBox kit for a while and hasn't had any problems.

I also had a new meter installed and the incoming fuse and (ancient) head upgraded from 60A to 80A (the installers said they don't fit 100A fuses any more). Along the way I learned the incoming cable is 3-phase with only one live phase, and it comes (underground) from a telegraph pole in the field out front.

Thanks again for your input guys, it's appreciated :)

.... and the incoming fuse and (ancient) head upgraded from 60A to 80A (the installers said they don't fit 100A fuses any more).
That's interesting, and illustrates the variations between DNOs. I'm currently in negotiation with SSE in relation to a property I ownn, which currently has a 60A cutout fuse. They tell me that they no longer install 80A fuses, so an upgrade from60A would have to be to 100A.

Kind Regards, John

That's interesting, and illustrates the variations between DNOs. I'm currently in negotiation with SSE in relation to a property I ownn, which currently has a 60A cutout fuse. They tell me that they no longer install 80A fuses, so an upgrade from60A would have to be to 100A.

Kind Regards, John
I've had similar recently

Would be the logical way, given the looming EV requirements.
Indeed, which is why I was not surprised when SSE told me they now only 'upgrade' to 100A - and also why I was rather surprised by the OP having apparently been told the opposite ("no longer fit 100A fuses").

Kind Regards, John

I have to say, I fitted shed loads of Hager and it was good. Fusebox seem to be well-regarded but I have never used them.

Whichever you choose, buy an enclosure with loads of space for future expansion and a good handful of spare RCBOs of various sizes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back