what van do you drive?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just wanted to know what vans were all driving, i drive a vauxhall astra cdti does between 50-60 miles on a fiver, fold down back seats for when i take the kids out, i chose it because i was traveling up and down the motor ways from site to site and the astra loves motorways, all i had to do was take my tools and it gets you there in no time at all, down side is its smaller than other vans but i manage, now ive stopped doing site work i may need something bigger, but this vans so nice i dont want to part with it, it was emaculate till bird i live with pranged it, its an old balfour beaty van

Sponsored Links
P Reg Transit

Having to get rid of it as no longer need it. Had it for three years and all it's cost me is tyres, servicing and a water pump.

I gave up on new vans years ago!

Fiat ducato 10, she takes a 8x4 sheet and also takes the peesh on mpg, about 25. It's dented bad and leeks through the side door!

Astravan, '02, white. Second hand. Wont take 8 x 4 sheets, but has been a good van for me. This is the 4th astravan i've had. I used to have a Nissan cabstar pickup, and before that, a Mitsubishi pickup.

Sponsored Links
I just sold my ageing, 200k miles Vauxhall Brava 2.5 DTI 4x2 with Truckman top which I’ve had for over 6 years. Only a couple of very small problems in that time & so reliable, far more so than our much newer Land Rover which seems to eat fuel pumps, air flow meters & turbo hoses. Not exactly stylish & would never win a traffic light grand prix but the Isuzu engine always started “on the button” even after 6 weeks of idleness when returning from me summer trips to Spain & when everthing froze up here last year, all with the battery that was on there when I bought it & never once stuck on a charger. It also ran on fresh air & regularly returned 40+ MPG. With the tailgate down I could get full size boards in over the wheel arches supporting the top & bottom edges with 2 timber mules but I had to watch for rain or drive faster :LOL: ; bags of plaster underneath & me tools on the top. It would also take 3m lengths of 4 x 2 timber & plumbing stuff across the cab but, again, slightly sticking out the back.

Not sure what I’m going to replace it with, if anything, as I find I’m doing less just plastering work now + I’m getting very choosy about what I take on these days. I like the look of a Nissan Navara twin cab but that’s a whole different vehicle, more of poncy lifestyle choice than a work horse. Brava’s are a bit thin on the ground & getting a bit old now but for a cheap workhorse I’d certainly have another; I actually had 3 guys almost fighting over the thing when I sold it. :cool:

rich ford rangers are ment to be a good truck if a truck is what your looking for reliable and as far as i know thier not as juicey as the likes of the navara or the warrior.
my self however i have a 54plate ford transit swb 260 brilliant van had it from almost new costs 70 to fill up and does 500 to the tank. all ive had to replace on it is front tyres and i overloaded it once and snapped the rear leafs :oops: , i can fit 8x4 in the back it is a bit tight but they do lay on top of me tools and the van vault which is a big bugger, i actually weighed it at a scrap yard i was working at (reskimming office after a fire) the vault fully loaded weighs 38 stone haha :eek:, but yeah i love it lovley reliable van and nice and warm in the winter. proberly get a newer one next year though i get bored easily and fancie a change of scenary.
JRP

I gave up on new vans years ago!
i dont think i would ever buy a new van, i bought mine off e bay from someone who said he worked for belfour beaty, and said it was his van, it was the van that he used to drive while working for them and they let him buy it, after i bought it i looked on e bay again and he had another balfour van up for sale, so i guess he was telling porkies and his ebay user name? that was delboy, it got me a little worried at first but its a great van and it had a vauxhall servis every year and stamped in the book so no expense was spared on it

Fiat ducato 10, she takes a 8x4 sheet and also takes the peesh on mpg, about 25. It's dented bad and leeks through the side door!
my last motor only done 25 mpg, it makes a big difference on the jobs you can take, some times the sites wereover 60 miles away thats 120 miles a day, i think my van has paid for itself in petrol money

I drive a Peugeot Boxer (1997) cost me £250 needed an alternator, so put one on and was fine till cold weather came along and had to have some glow-plugs , then starter motor packed up yesterday so I finished at 1 o/clock today went and got me a starter motor and put it on. Sound..Before that I had a Citreon Relay which replaced my Toyota Hi-ace (Brilliant van) but some girl fell asleep at the wheel and hit us head on and totaled it and turned us over. Still trying to get compensation, and that was two years ago last September!!! Wife still has flash-backs when we pass the spot where it happened :cry: Also had a couple of Renault Traffics and a Fiat Iveco...

LDV Convoy, 10 years old and bought from new. Only broke down on me once. But I will have to change it next year due to the LEZ. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Andy

im getting about in a nice new transit van (m8's) but i keep nicking the keys lol not so shiney now tho with a load of plaster in the back love it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back