What was this

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening gents.
Been to a breakdown tonight, boiler not firing and found this,
venturi003.jpg

Now I know what it is but was woundering if you chaps knew and could offer a reason for its demise :?:

Cheers, have fun ;)

Sponsored Links
Looks like a melted venturi from an Ariston or similar Italian boiler.

Usually caused by dry firing.

Tony

Well done Tony ;)

Though its out of a Vaillant 242E :LOL:

Dry firing, hows that happen then :idea:

Sponsored Links
Was it a Turbomax PLUS VUW?

since....

no analogue output water pressure sensor is fitted to detect water flow.

no differential water pressure assembly is fitted.

and the Flow and Return thermistors are slow to respond.

Customers never check pressure gauge so it sits at zero. Eventually insufficient water in the system and pump fails to circulate water or dies.

Boiler fires up and cooks venturi.

Was the boiler the highest point of the system?

Is the solder "dripping" off the bottom of the heat echanger fins?

Thanks Rob.

Not understanding why though :oops: . My theory is they drained the system to remove rads to decorate and fired the boiler for a hot water demand :!:

could that be the cause?

Gasguru said:
Was it a Turbomax PLUS VUW?

since....

no analogue output water pressure sensor is fitted to detect water flow.

no differential water pressure assembly is fitted.

and the Flow and Return thermistors are slow to respond.

Customers never check pressure gauge so it sits at zero. Eventually insufficient water in the system and pump fails to circulate water or dies.

Boiler fires up and cooks venturi.

Was the boiler the highest point of the system?

Is the solder "dripping" off the bottom of the heat echanger fins?

It is the Turbomax VUW GB 242E.

HE is ok.

What your saying ties in with my theory above ;)

I went to one which was really dire because the extra heat at the top end melted the plastic APS and that jammed on even though the fan impeller had smashed into the melted venturi and stopped.

Interestingly the extra top end heat also melted the inside of the AAV !

The actual cause of the fault was very minor! A jammed pin on the system flow switch!

As all the water boiled away the o/h stat on the flow pipe well below the HE did not respond for a very long time whilst all that top end damage was taking place!

Tony

Do you mean the Turbomax PLUS and not the earlier Turbomax that had a diff flow switch fitted.

Perhaps Vaillant have been a little more "clever" in their design.... moulding the venturi from a thermoplastic fully intending it to melt as a last resort safety device whereas other manufactures such as Ferolli use thermosets that just go brittle with heat (they do add water pressure switches/overheat stats though).

You've lost me now, the old models from the 80's were the Sine18's and Combi Compacts VCW series with no venturi but a "collector" ring at the flue connection.

The Turbomax VUW's (black panel/green knobs) had a differential flow switch - perhaps as Tony suggested this had jammed on.

And the Turbomax Plus's have next to no protection.

Geoff, you seem to be about the only one who can get their minds round all those confusing names.

As far as I can gather the numbers are all that are needed to get an overview of the boiler.

Still variations though even within the numbers.

Tony

Gasguru said:
You've lost me now, the old models from the 80's were the Sine18's and Combi Compacts VCW series with no venturi but a "collector" ring at the flue connection.

The Turbomax VUW's (black panel/green knobs) had a differential flow switch - perhaps as Tony suggested this had jammed on.

And the Turbomax Plus's have next to no protection.

Thats me doing the confusing :oops:

The Turbomax VUW's (black panel/green knobs)

Thats the puppy, though I thought these where late 80's. Dont recall PLUS on it though I could be wrong.

Yes the black panel will be something like a TURBOmax VUW GB 242/1E. A dry fire should never occur so check the diff flow switch. I think these date from the late 90's to about 2003. The last "quality" Vaillant IMHO (although the DHW diapghrams a bugger).

The TURBOmax PLUS then replaced it (small digital display, 1 piece casing) typical model TURBOmax PLUS 824E VUW GB 242/2-5 R2

Plenty of very confusing numbers, I think the end variants refers to the fan spigot shape

Just for a laugh boiler manufacturer marketing teams like to hold competitions on the most ridicluous names for their boilers. I suppose it makes a change from all the bullshit brochures they produce. :LOL:

Worcester are terrible with all their Greenstar/Junior variants.

Baxi/Potterton terrible names

How about the Prothern 80E and the Protherm 80e, entirely different boilers.

Or the Vokera Linea only 5 variants (let alone the different heat outputs)

Yes the black panel will be something like a TURBOmax VUW GB 242/1E. A dry fire should never occur so check the diff flow switch. I think these date from the late 90's to about 2003. The last "quality" Vaillant IMHO (although the DHW diapghrams a b*****r).

spot on bonny lad and don't forget ariston as per numbers :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back