Whats the best decorating filler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,
I'm trying to get some market research, I work for a new start up creating our own fillers and wanted to know the following to help our product development process;

1. Do professional decorators prefer ready mixed or powder filler? and why?

2. What filler do you like to use and why?

3. Do you care how your fillers are packed? ie. tub, bucket, box, bag?

4. Do you look for a rapid, fine surface, deep gap filler or just a general purpose filler?

5. Do you use exterior grade fillers?

10. Do you do skimming and what would you use to skim a wall? If the walls not too bad would you just use filler, a skimming product or plaster?

11. Is it worth offering a 2-in-1 product that you can use to fill gaps AND skim the wall?

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Sponsored Links
Those are very vague questions.

I am a decorator, I use polyester resin fillers, epoxy resin fillers, cement based fillers (interior and exterior) and premixed light weight fillers. The choice of filler is a function of the work that needs to be carried out.

You really need to be more specific.

I have used this in the past, but reviews are not good. Unless they changed the formula... I have found it great for filling shallow areas and dead easy to sand to a really smooth finish.

Those are very vague questions.

I am a decorator, I use polyester resin fillers, epoxy resin fillers, cement based fillers (interior and exterior) and premixed light weight fillers. The choice of filler is a function of the work that needs to be carried out.

You really need to be more specific.
Hiya,
Thank you for your reply :)
I'm mostly interested in interior wall fillers.
When would you use one over the other? namely when would you use ready mixed vs powder?
You can make powder as thick/thin as you want, you can make the quantity that you want and fill any size gap - do you prefer powder over ready mixed or just whatever is cheapest?
We don't know whether it is worth launching a rapid, flexible, fine surface, deep gap etc. -are professionals interested in these niche type of fillers?

Sponsored Links
Hiya,
Thank you for your reply :)
I'm mostly interested in interior wall fillers.
When would you use one over the other? namely when would you use ready mixed vs powder?
You can make powder as thick/thin as you want, you can make the quantity that you want and fill any size gap - do you prefer powder over ready mixed or just whatever is cheapest?
We don't know whether it is worth launching a rapid, flexible, fine surface, deep gap etc. -are professionals interested in these niche type of fillers?

My go to interior wall filler is Toupret TX110 (powder based), it sets pretty quickly. It is about 20% more expensive than the regular powder based Toupret interior wall filler.

I tend not to use generic wall fillers out of tubs. The powder based versions have cement, and adding water helps them to cure faster, filler in tubs cannot use cement (because the filler in the tub would go hard on the shelves).

Flexible fillers- I use Toupret Flex and Fill for cracks, it is like a caulk with fibres in it, but one needs to fill over it with other fillers once cured.

As professional I would be very sceptical of any product that claimed to cover all bases.

A sensible decorator is not overly sensitive to product costs, given that they are minimal when compared to labour costs. If you are charging £1000 a week for labour, what is the point saving a fiver if it costs you more in labour.

I want filler that is only slightly softer than the surrounding plaster. If it is too soft, when I sand it will leave a dent. If it too hard it will sand the plaster away and leave a slight dome.

Are you planning to design a product or sell a white label product made by someone else?

Back