What's wrong with this socket? (Non-professionals only)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have a quick look at this and tell me what's wrong with this:

SocketWiredWrongly.jpg

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Come on someone answer cos we are all dying to hear the story of how this happened and what actually got plugged in

PUt it this way, I certainly would not want to undo that for a look see while the power is on, & certainly not with an uninsulated screwdriver :D

Just to spoil it for you sparkies having a laff..

Live wire is into the earth terminal (and likely visa versa).
no earth to the back box.
exposed copper at the nuetral (although I'm not sure thats a problem?)

OK. This socket I found at a house in Stafford. The customer told me the socket would not work, plus the decorator kept getting shocks while papering the HS&L, so I plugged the Alphatek in and got a plug symbol - power, so I pressed the button.

"PE", it flashed. (Earth fault)

So I opened it up and took this picture.

No fly lead. Box and socket screws were live to touch.

So, Live to the earth terminal.

Neutral to the Live terminal.

Earth to the Live terminal.

:eek:, indeed!

What had the customer tried to usr from this socket? Did you find out who wired it up? How long had it not 'been working'?

Red wire goes to uninsulated terminal.

Looks like an unswitched socket?
I trust the CPD was well exercised ? :))

Looks like a switched one to me ;)

The fuse probably wouldn't have popped as there was no fly lead to the back box. The whole lot would have been live :eek:

> Looks like a switched one to me

Indeed it does, right of photo shows the switch outline.

Too mesmerised by the red wires going to a BARE METAL screw terminal.
It is more usual to get NE reversal - trips out RCD on plugging in appliance, plus the usual fishy PVC smell.

I'm **STILL** mesmerised by red wires into BARE METAL screw terminal!
Going to lie down :)

The customer tried to use an extension outdoors from that socket when they first moved in 15 years ago, but gave up when it would not work.

Funnily enough, it's on an RCD, but it never popped, despite the decorator getting quite a few nasty nips.

If it were me, I'd have given up, but he finished the whole job...

The house is 20 years old, so we worked out that it could have been a diy replacement 16 years ago ish.

It is a switched socket. The CPD was not at all exercised. As my numerical colleague points out, there was no link to the back box, so the thing just sat there, 24/7 live as live can be.

Also found at the same property, a disconnected cpc to a power shower, resulting in shocks felt from the wet wall adjacent to the riser rail....

And a disconnected PEB to the water pipe.

That lot really brought me down to earth, I can tell you.

21 years and I've never seen anything quite that incompetent before.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back