wheel balancing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had a couple of tyres fitted at a well known NATIONAL tyre fitting company. Ever since, I have had vibration around 65mph. I've had it back twice and each time they have said the balancing was out, why?

On the last occasion, the manager did it himself and said it was done to 1 gramme accuracy and they could do no more if it was still out.

There is still a little vibration. The only difference I can see is that there are no weights on the outside as it was when new, they are alloys. I seem to remember that years ago, they used to fit weights on the inner and outer rim.

Also, does the locking nut make a difference. Does it have to go back in the same position?

Sponsored Links
I had the same problem with the same company. Are the weights put on where the tyre bead is? If so they should be changed for the type that go on the inner side of your alloy. With mine they just put a load of weight on one side and it made it vibrate really bad. If they keep saying that they have sorted it tell them it must be the tyre that is the problem as they can be made uneven and so are not properly round. They also left one wheel nut a bit loose and another could be undone by hand. I would never use them again. Also check if the tyre direction is going the right way, there will be arrows.

*-try changing the wheels over

this can cure it

sticky weights inside can come off, I get them on the outside to last but doesnt look that good

I'm swapping the front with the back which have been balanced from new. I'll do this one at a time to see if it makes any difference.

The weights they have fitted are the standard knock on type on the rim. But they have only fitted them to the inside rim.

On another note, how cheapo is the spare tyre on a Focus. It's one of those temporary, get you home type.

Sponsored Links
Hi I have 4 years exp. as a tyre fitter. If they are alloys maybe the stick on weights the company have put on keep falling off. Stick on weights might look good hidden out of the way but they r crap at staying on especially if the inside of your alloy was dirty, i,e full of mud, or grease (if a ball joint gaiter has leaked). Or maybe the firm u took ur car 2 has a problem with its balancer i.e its callibration is out. Or maybe ur wheels have a slight buckle. Try another garage for balancing, like as I said perhaps the 1 u went 2 needs 2 be callibrated. Hope this helps ?
Nicola

I had the same problem with an S reg (less than three years old at the time) Vauxhall Vectra SRi, ended up taking it to the dealer in the end. My advice would be to write and complain to head office suggesting that if you do not receive a satisfactory conclusion you may take the car to a main dealer and pass the cost on.

if the alloys are not the original then they may have centre bore adaptors, check they have not fallen out, they should be a good fit on the hub.

also check the mating surfaces are clean and tighten the nuts a little at a time moving across not around the wheel to help centre the wheel

a long shot but worth a try.

Back