When does a Consumer Unit Require an update? Confused.

So, the question is.
Is it more appropriate to fit some RCBOs and have the option of making space or replace the whole CU.
Well, that's up to you, as I said in the first reply, it depends what you want to do.
The parts separately cost quite a lot (RCBO £30) whereas you can get a full CU (no RCBOs, mind) for around £100 (may not be the best, though)

And should the electrician given me that option?
Yes.

Sponsored Links
Well, that's up to you, as I said in the first reply, it depends what you want to do.
The parts separately cost quite a lot (RCBO £30) whereas you can get a full CU (no RCBOs, mind) for around £100 (may not be the best, though)
But then you need to consider the expense of a complete CU swap, against having a few devices changed in an existing board.

I actually found my way to that TLC page before you linked to it @EFLImpudence.

I do not see any modern, slim RCDs listed (assumingthe current one was swapped out to make a bit of space). Do they exist for this board? In fact, if enough space could be created? Would two RCDs not fit? Or is that determined by the consumer unit itself (specific internals) as to whether two can be added?

I am just a bit annoyed the guy did not mention this as an option, as (due to this website) I already had the knowledge that it may not require replacement, and asked that very question for that reason. Disappointed more than anything.

If it is no more or less safe, but is less of an expensive option, I guess it is a no brainier.

I'll see what the quote comes in at. Maybe also get another in the mean time.

Sponsored Links
When you say RCD, do you mean the Double Pole units, rather than the single pole RCBOs?

You only need to replace the MCBs on the non-RCD protected side with RCBOs, and they only need to be changed where new work is carried out on those circuit that requires RCD protection.

Yes you can get RCBOs to fit that one.

A bit of reconfiguring and/or a more modern RCD would make space as well as the three half-size blank spaces.

I was referring to what @EFLImpudence said earlier about a more modern RCD would create more space if that was a requirement. I took that to mean a modern RCD would be slimmer. Hence another could be fitted to the non RCD side. I could not see any RCDs listed on that TLC direct page though to see.

Well you could put a second two pole RCCB/RCD in, probably remove a couple of the blanks, mess about with the busbar config, then probably loose a way in the board, cannot see a spare way being gained.
Unless you going to take the guts out of board, replace main iso switch, replace existing RCBO/RCD, and reconfig busbars. Then you may gain a way or two.
If that was the case, I would opt for new cu.

Last edited:
You can work around most of the new regulations in one way or another, my house has two old Wilex fuse boxes both modified to take MCB's each fed from its own RCD both mounted in an adaptable box so the only bit which is not up to current regulations is the metal consumer unit, and even that since fitted in the integral garage which has a level of fire proofing even that is open for debate.

However it was done over a long time as items became available, I would not consider that set up is the way to go with what we have today, getting around the problems can be expensive compared with simply replacing the consumer unit.

To explain to every client all the pros and cons would take a lot of time, and time is money, so it is often best to reduce what is being offered. Yes you can wire with Ali-tube cable and use RCD sockets and the list goes on. The twin RCD v RCBO's or some where between is hard enough to explain. My RCD trips and the emergency light comes on at top of stairs which shows me I have a problem so I reset the RCD, if I had RCBO's I may not notice as quick, but on the other hand it may not trip in first place with RCBO's.

So the electrician needs to reduce the options offered, where one option costs more than other option and it is also not as good, why bother giving it as an option?

My mothers house just rewired was not the best of jobs, but it did do what I needed, they did sneak some things past me, I had not expected sockets at skirting level where original was higher, but accepted that were it was a new position it was less work plastering, my error was not watching carefully. But the house is now fit to rent if I need to.

For what a consumer unit costs likely not worth while trying to work around it, may as well change it, makes the rest of the work cheaper.

I can see that point of view. You can be given so many options that you end up thinking too much about it all.

But, I still rather it was more truthfully communicated.

1) You could keep it, but it would involve a) b) c) and d) and may not be the best solution.

or

2) It would be much more of a tidy job to fit a new consumer unit, it is not a requirement but...you'd comply with current reg's. No cause for concern.

----

In this case, if 4 RCBOS at £30 quid a pop comes in substantially cheaper and is just as good a solution, it would have nice to have been offered it.

I shall have to see what the quote comes in as.

Just as a quick update.

As per the recommended procedure, I am getting three quotes...

The second guy came and quoted from pretty much the same spec of job.

This time, regarding the consumer unit, the response was at the other end of the spectrum.

"No need to touch the consumer unit, it is fine as is nor the old wylex replaceable fuse type in the loft"

I queried that it was suggested that as the lighting circuit is being modified, it should now require RCD protection.....

His answer was a flat out "no, it is fine as it is".

So, now it is the other extreme.....humph

Time for quote three methinks.

Edit: Query...this guy was again niceic registered (with Pat, trustmark the full tick list etc)

1. Does that accreditation actually mean anything in reality?

2. While that guy, whose company it was (company in his name) i.e "bob bobson electrics", had all the accreditation, he was a pretty old guy and told me he was not doing the work, his son was. So does only he have to have the accreditation? Does everyone in the company have to have the accreditation? Basically, does that mean his son has all the accreditation listed on the site? Or does his son do the work, and he signs it off?

Thanks in advance...

Last edited:
1. No.
2. Not everyone need be registered (to self-certify (which means self-notify)). No other "accreditation" is required.
Either he or his son or both.

If you want 3 opinions, put 2 tradesmen in a room and ask your question :)

@deadshort and @EFLImpudence, my experience is difference from what TLC say. Yes, the NHX is compatible (ish) but you need to use an additional forked busbar placed directly under the screw heads, as it's these which line up on the Wylex range, rather than the tunnels.

See a creation below (middle photo is of NSB versus NHX MCB, not used in final board):
View media item 65330View media item 65329View media item 65328
So to the OP, yes if there's enough room you can install RCBOs in the old consumer unit, you just need an electrician who's spotted how ;).

Last edited:
Can bus bars not be kinked to introduce an offset to the fingers? Does it then cause difficulty aligning the MCBs because the fingers will be too far misaligned to fit?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back