When to plaster and when to plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have a lot of rooms in an old 4 storey victorian house that have plaster problems, also near enough all ceilings have problems (about 15 rooms worth) so need to do sometihng about them.

For example in the attic conversion There's a strip of wood at the level of the base of the original roof (couple of feet above the floorboards) and it's been plastered over (probably 20yrs ago) with a sandy light coloured plaster followed by what looks like a newer skim (pretty siure I see old paint between the layers). So below the wood there's brick work and above the wood there's brick work (so bricks built on this wood and the plaster covers it all).

The plaster surrounding the wood has lost it's key (I beleive that's the right term?) and can be knocked (with a small crowbar) relatively easily away from the wood and surrounding brickwork (this means the brick work is expossed a few inches above and below the wood). It seems to be worse closest to an outside corner of the room that's close to a dormer window (there's a couple of feet of flat wall then sloping ceilings for the roof).

Whoever added the window didn't add any insulation or waterproofing to the stud like work (a lot of the wood is the original roof) they'd added below the window which is part of the eaves. I've removed a section of plasterboard below the window and you can see the inside of the eaves, there's also evidence of mild water damage right in the corner most likely due to poor fitting flashing (I can see daylight through tiles etc.. and it's very draughty). When I first opened it, it was a little damp, now it's been open a week or so I've not seen any evidence of water (I'm assuming it's evaporating off quickly now).

In one area near the corner there were visible cracks in the plaster and a little paint had flaked/bubbled, the paint could be scraped quite easily and the top plaster skim could be scraped quite easily. wherever a crack was the whole base plaster could be easiliy knocked off (knocked of a few feet square until it was no longer easy to do).

I'm new to house rennovation so what little I know is from books, TV and commonsense,l so I don;t know what everything is called or what's normal (it's like having wood sandwiched between brick doesn't sound like a good idea to me!).

In the two rooms I've checked (there's three on this floor) the wood area of plaster is very easy to remove relative to above and below it for no obvious reasons, so I'm assuming it's either allowed water into the plaster or enough movement to damage adhesion (or maybe plaster doesn't stick to wood well long term?).

Does that make sense?

I'm not sure what to do. Seems the presence of wood is either causeing a problem or making it worse (the corner problem is more than just the wood), so need to do something about that.

I've tried plastering a couple of times (just as tests) and when I got the mix right it wasn't that hard to do a flat skim over the test area. So I don't see a problem plastering this area (and many others in the house) if thats the best solution.

Should I scrape of any loose plaster, loose in the sense that jabbing at it with a crowbar knocks it off without too much force and then replaster the damaged areas followed by a reskim to get a good finish. Or fill in the holes I've made and drywall over the lot?

If it's remove damaged plaster and make good is the proceedure is something like this-

Remove all loose plaster,
Brush away dust etc... from brickwork
PVA the wall (5:1 ratio?).
This is where I'm not sure.
is it
fill the hole with two coats of plaster, the first to fill the hole the second to get a flat finish.
Or do you do this in one go (It's under an inch thick).

Also any reccomended plaster type, I'll be buying from B&Q most likely?
I've tried I think thistle Multi-finish and I had no problems with it. My first test was with a white plaster from Wickes and it wasn't as good.

thanks for any tips.

David

Sponsored Links
Plasterers have a 4 year apprenticeship. If you think you can do their job with no experience and a few lines on a forum - then you are in for one heck of a shock.

Call in the pros.

joe

joe-90 said:
Plasterers have a 4 year apprenticeship. If you think you can do their job with no experience and a few lines on a forum - then you are in for one heck of a shock.

We are talking here about putting a substance on a wall and smoothing it out. It's not rocket science, but like any skill takes a little time to master. Fortunately I don't need to be a master at it, just good enough to end with smooth walls where it matters

Only time will tell though, will be going to the house tonight and plan to plaster a couple of walls. I'll take some pictures :)

David

diyomy said:
joe-90 said:

We are talking here about putting a substance on a wall and smoothing it out. It's not rocket science, but like any skill takes a little time to master. Fortunately I don't need to be a master at it, just good enough to end with smooth walls where it matters

Only time will tell though, will be going to the house tonight and plan to plaster a couple of walls. I'll take some pictures :)

David

Only those that have never tried it think that they can do it. You are in for a shock. It wouldn't be a skilled trade if all and sundry could 'spread it out'.

It's more skilled than rocket science.

joe

Sponsored Links
Interested by the parking scenario..gotta watch The Bill now...are you renovating a Home or a PROFIT making exercise :?: I only advise home makers.I`m the Red under your bed ;)

Nige F said:
Interested by the parking scenario..gotta watch The Bill now...are you renovating a Home or a PROFIT making exercise :?: I only advise home makers.I`m the Red under your bed ;)

It's going to be our home as soon as it's 1/4 done, we plan to move in when the top floor is complete so I'm not travelling 80 miles in a day to do work on the house.

David

Plastering is the Hardest trade to get right ....an as said rocket science is easier ..lol...an ceilings lol... oh dear ..lol ;)

Moz said:
Plastering is the Hardest trade to get right ....an as said rocket science is easier ..lol...an ceilings lol... oh dear ..lol ;)

Funnily enough I started out as a scientist (studied at Uni to be a research scientist, Geneticist) so I suppose rocket science is less alien to me than plastering :)

We (myself) and eldest sone (14years) went to the house yesterday and plastered a couple of walls (re skimmed anyway) and it wasn't that difficult to get an OK finish. Probably took 4x as long as an experienced plasterer, but we are still learning and so that was expected.

We did a couple of test walls (not even full walls) the other day and that was enough to see we could do it well with practice.

The hardest part so far is getting the mix right, too wet and it's diifcult to obtain a smooth finish, too dry and it goes off quickly and is diificult to work with.

We are FAR from experts, but I have no doubts the results will be more than acceptable and at least as good as whoever proffessonally plastered the house we live in now (you don't notice the imperfections until you look for them).

I find it hilarious on a forum like this there seems to be an attitude plastering is too difficult to learn quickly!! You make it sound like you have to read the equivelent of Gray's anatomy to obtain enough information/knowledge (spread over 4 years) to be able to plaster a house!!

BTW thanks for the advice so far on how to plaster the area I asked about :(

David

From what you are saying you haven't clue what you are doing. Still, if you think it's good enouigh to make a complete bodge of a 4 storey house - be our guest.

It took me 20 years to learn to plaster properly (and it isn't doing it the way that you are) and I'm still not pro standard.

Congratulations on devaluing your property.

joe

joe-90 said:
From what you are saying you haven't clue what you are doing. Still, if you think it's good enouigh to make a complete bodge of a 4 storey house - be our guest.

From what I've said how did we plaster then?

Note we haven't started on the walls with the wood going though the brickwork yet as we don't have enough information to decide how to do that area (that's why I asked the question here).

The walls we did had been reskmimmed (probably 20 years ago) directly onto what looks like the original plaster walls with a coat of emulsion between the old and new. We found the newest skim had little adhesion because of the emulsion paint (it was powdery) and could be scraped off with no effort at all (where paint was absent the skim was sound). I guess the proffessional plasterer (it was a good finish) who reskimmed the walls didn't bother to PVA the walls first (very proffessional).

Anyway, so we scrapped of the loose plaster skim, PVA'd and replastered.

How is that a bodge job?

What more could we do?

It took me 20 years to learn to plaster properly (and it isn't doing it the way that you are) and I'm still not pro standard.

Maybe we are quicker learners than you :)

Congratulations on devaluing your property.

joe

Near enough everything in that house was bodged, so whatever we do will be an improvement.

I guess I'm not going to get any help on this forum, seem to have alienated the natives just because plastering wasn't that hard to learn! Sorry, I'll pretend we failed next time and we had to call in a pro :)

David

Sorry mate, but you are making a total pig's ear of it. You told us how you were 'spreading it on' but couldn't get it right.

If you make a botch job you will devalue your property by £10K.

If you get a good pro to do it you will add £20k to the value.

You are losing £25K in the deal.

If that's intelligent thought then I'm Tommy Cooper's love-child.

Why is it that clever people lack intelligence?

joe

joe-90 said:

Where the heck did you pull those ridiculous figures from?

Oh wait, I have a fair idea :)

Does anyone other than the illigitamate child of Tommy Cooper have any comments on the original question?

David

diyomy said:
joe-90 said:

Where the heck did you pull those ridiculous figures from?

David

Experience mate. Something that you are sadly lacking.

joe

diyomy said:
Maybe we are quicker learners than you :)
Oh, I think that's more than likely :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back