When to plaster and when to plasterboard

You need to clout nail some metal lath over the wood in the walls and get lots of pva into the surrounding plaster. Then mix up a thickish mix of bonding and get it well into the cavity. Apply it bulbous and then take a straight piece of wood and rule across/up the area using the walls each side as a sort of guide rail. It doesn't have to look pretty but it will be true with the rest of the wall. Come back the next day and knock off any high bonding blobs etc and lightly score. Give the whole wall plenty of sticky pva not too watery. Come back in a short while and pva just the bonded areas to help with the whole wall going off at the same time and replaster as normal.

Sponsored Links
darran74 said:
You need to clout nail some metal lath over the wood in the walls and get lots of pva into the surrounding plaster.

Thanks very much for the tips, that's the sort of info I was looking for.

We had our flat roofs redone this week (felt replaced with fibre glass, they haven't done them all yet), one of the roofers has developed a fair number of properties in the past (over 25) and suggested using cement for the base coat (I mentioned troubles with it going off quickly, so you can only mix small batches) for several reasons that made sense as long as we don't need to ever remove the plaster again (which would be a nightmare)-

Cheaper than plaster.
Cement with retardant won't go off like plaster does, until added to the wall.
Easy to work with.
Can have it delivered ready mixed saving time/effort.

Then skim the cement with plaster for a flat finish.

I'm interested in what others think of this idea, cons I might not have considered as the not having to mix the plaster and having a lot more time to work with it is very appealing?

Thanks again.

David

lets see some pictures of your handywork then.
What you consider ok may not really be so.
My first attempt at plastering turned out brilliant...or so I thought until I looked at it from the side, it was nice and smooth but the undulations..
With regards to your plastering over wood you need to cover it in expanded metal laths first.

joe 90 where did u get those figures from? :eek:

To say a professional plastering job will add £20k to a house is a bit of a long shot mate. Agreed, DIY plastering does devalue the property.......but there's alot of other factors to take into account. You can't just pull out figures like that :rolleyes:

If this guy wants to try himself good luck.........that's what this forum is for- it's not for the 'experts' to say hire an expert, it's for the 'experts' to give advice + pointers. If all we said was 'hire an expert' they'd be no point of this forum.

If I was in this guys position + a plasterer came along to give a qoute + mentioned the figures you have..........i'd show him the door. ;)

Sponsored Links
chappers said:
lets see some pictures of your handywork then.
What you consider ok may not really be so.

I made a post in this thread with two images (before and after) but it was deleted the next time I checked! Are you not allowed to post images here or something?

Also my sig was deleted once as well (do the owners of this forum have a problem with sigs as well)? It was a single link, the same one below, link to the blog which is about the house we are rennovating.

I've added some photos to http://www.oneworldcoffee.com/2006/04/08/learning-to-plaster-by-plastering/

David

diyomy
Im very pleased you have picked up plastering , but as said it it is one of the toughest trades to Master ,an when you think you can skim a ceiling,come an give your thoughts here then ..lol
+ there is no need to to be rude in your replies ....thankyou !

Moz said:
diyomy
Im very pleased you have picked up plastering , but as said it it is one of the toughest trades to Master ,an when you think you can skim a ceiling,come an give your thoughts here then ..lol
+ there is no need to to be rude in your replies ....thankyou !

The plan is to overboard the ceilings since the current plaster isn't doing so well, which should make it a lot easier to skim.

I haven't been rude though, I've been sarcastic to Joe-90 for his completely unhelpful approach and comments that we'll be devaluing the property by 25K!

BTW if it turned out it wasn't something we could do, we'd hire a plasterer, but right now I think we can do the job to an acceptable standard.

David

Interesting discussion here!

I've had a go at plastering. It is difficult. I have achieved many things, including a PhD, but this was tough.

However, I soldiered on, starting with small mixes and getting a 'feel' for what I needed to do and how to work with the stuff. Much of the wall is covered with kitchen units so it was an ideal practise scenario.

All I can report is that you learn all the time - more recent attempts are far better and the more you do it the better you get. The first few square feet were pretty useless but as I worked away it got better and better.

At the end of the day there are always going to be people who simply cannot afford to pay thousands for plasterers etc (even though they will produce a superior result) and have to resort to having a go themselves. I will always consider both options though, and am accomodating to reasonable quotes and honest, fair, tradesmen.

Joe

Bit unfair on the poster. He has gone to a lot of trouble typing a question and you have been no help at all. :eek:

This is a DIY forum after all. :rolleyes:

Hope someone can help you Diyomy and good luck with your project :D

David, If you're going to do this, do it properly. If your walls are in a generally poor condition, take them back to brick/wood and start from scratch. If you insist on bodging it, I suggest you level the walls as much as possible by filling & sanding, then put the plaster on. You shouldn't substitute plaster for filler.

The way to get around the problem of the wood is to use beading, then treat as two different surfaces, or three if the underside of the protruding wood is sufficiently deep to plaster as well.

It sounds as though there is a problem with moisture. If you want to do things properly, find the exterior source and fix the problem. If you want to bodge it, at least treat the wood with something and use vapourcheck plasterboard on that and any adjacent walls.

NB: This advice does not come from a professional.

Hi David,

I've been in a similar situation to yourself. A couple of years ago my girlfriend and i bought a four bedroom edwardian house which needed completely gutting and renovating. Because of the size of the house i decided to have a go at plastering because there were plenty of areas to practise! :)
I've been quite fortunate in that my stepdad worked for the council for 30+ years as a painter and decorator. He's done a fair bit of plastering in his time and was able to show me the ropes. We had the damp course re-done first so i started off by applying the sand and cement mix. The came the skimming. Like what everyone else has said, practise only makes you better, and more confidence has made me attempt other such jobs like float and set, plasterboarding and of course more skimming.
Recently though i've invested some plastering DVD's by Goldtrowel. Now i don't know what anyone else thinks of them, but the DVDs have proved to be very informative and have helped me out massively. It might be worth investing yourself in something like this. You should be able to pick up all three DVDs on ebay for about £50.

I can't offer any other advise because i'm learning myself everyday. I hope that this points you in the right direction though.
Rich..
PS. I've recently skimmed a 20 sq metre ceiling in the bedroom that i re-boarded. Nightmare!! I don't envy you much ;)

wow there's a full scale row going on here!! calm down you two!

can i just ask, the people on here who give us novices advice, or in my case i'm just a girl - are you in the trade and being nice and helpful answering our questions in your spare time? always wondered that :)

yes you are very helpful to us girls :) so are you advice-givers on here out of the goodnes of your hearts? :D

Probably.

I think the regulars come on here to help others and also learn from others too. Also it is a good hobby too.

I always try to help the damsels in distress :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back