Where to find an apprentice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would I be best off contacting the college and look to take a full time student and change them onto a day release program?

Ive racked my brain (didnt take long) and cant think of anyone I know etc so will have to be an outsider

Sponsored Links
although it was about ten years ago
i was on a list at my local college when someone wanted an apprentice they would contact the college and put people in touch
i would suggest in this financial climate you will have many people jump at the chance of learning a trade from you

I phoned my local college earlier today and left a message for someone to call me back as I could see this being the route, I like to hope a number of candidates will jump at the chance!

I refuse to take anyone on who 'grunts' lol

several of us met him at the college for i supose i kind of interview and then he picked a couple of us to have a couple of days trial.
at the time i thought this was odd but now it makes sense you dont want to employ someone that isnt a good worker or you dont get along with

Sponsored Links
yea it was a bit lol

I'll ave the one with the sparkle in is eye lol

In taking on an apprentice, you have a duty to him / her, as he / she has to you.
Choose carefully.

Wotan

up here it is snipef who look after the apprentices, not sure where you are or who looks after them in other parts of the country, but that needs to be a starting point, as they have a list of proposed apprentices who need to be placed with companies before they are placed with a college abd they know of all the grants etc

Ask them a few simple basic questions. Their answers could give you an initial clue to giving them a trial. Had one years ago said 'why do I need to know maths!' :eek:

Also tell them during working hours mobile phones are banned until they are fully qualified.........................

A bricklayer friend of mine was taking on an apprentice. He said to him : " Can you make tea ? ", kid said: "yes". So he said : " Can you carry a hod ? ", kid said : " Why ? how big's the kettle ? ". :LOL:

I always give them a simple practical test to undo a tight screw/nut.

If they are so untrained that they dont know which way a screw turns then I would not want them!

Sponsored Links
Back