Where to put my new combi boiler??? HELP!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, we are just the process of having our old boiler replaced with a new combi boiler. The current installed boiler is in the main bedroom of the house, in a cupboard tucked away, which also provides some airing space.
We have just had our survey done to assess what new combi will be suitable for our home, and the British Gas guy has suggested moving the boiler to a downstairs loo. The boiler has been no problem in its current site, but we are wondering if the extra work would be worth it for future owners of the house. I.e. no boiler in bedroom seems to be a more the norm these days... Can I ask what you folks think of this. Would a boiler in the bedroom be a problem to most? Or shall we just let it remain in the bedroom.
We are a couple in a house, with no kids, but I would appreciate advice from all. Maybe just compare it to your own setup at home? Would it be a problem for you?
Thanks in advance.
Darl

Sponsored Links
If access to the boiler is OK for servicing and repairs, then the only drawback would be possibly a noise issue for light sleepers.

Can't help you without seeing your situation but the best one i ever saw was in Newtown,Mid Wales where the combi was in the front room two foot above the television :eek:

Whilst putting the boiler in the bedroom may not be an issue for yourselves, it may be the time to think about future requirements. Should you wish to move, would the boiler location pose a problem to prospective purchasers? A family for example, the parents may have concerns about the boiler in a room with a sleeping child, noise etc which could put them off and/or affect the asking price.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your comment Hugh... That was my thinking too. It seems more the norm to have it situated elsewhere. I just needed someone to agree with my thoughts, and I now have it!
All the best
Darl.

Thanks for your comment onecog... I am glad we don't have it in that location! LOL

This site is great.. I am a new user, and have an old house that will benefit greatly from advice here... And a little humour along the way also helps :D

Cheers

Darl

If you're thinking of having British Gas fit the boiler get a couple of quotes from decent local independent installers, you will probably save at least 40% for the job, and they may find an alternative location that's more suitable. Plus there are a few posts on this forum which show that some BG surveys give incorrect info about boiler sizing and which type of boiler is best suited to your needs. Getting extra quotes won't cost you anything - if you need more advice, come back to us. ;)

Other point maybe worth noting is BG did my parents boiler swap a few years back, moved boiler from kitchen to downstairs WC. It sits right above the cistern, positioned just right to bang your head on when using the WC.....

Admittedly, the space the old Vulcan Continental took up in the kitchen made room for a dishwasher, but i'd have put the boiler either in the storeroom next to the WC or the garage next to that, where there was plenty of room.... :confused:

Never put boilers in bedrooms if at all possible.
Modern boiler involve a bit of noise with fans and ignition.
Move it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back