Where's he gone?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Lamps go in lampholders whilst bulbs go in gardens as all Electricians know
In that case I'm glad I'm not an electrician as I understand it the glass bulb contains the light emiting element and a bulb goes into a lamp. That works right from the earliest times a glass device was added to any form of oil lamp and right up to any electrical device currently in use... No confusion there either.

Yes, but it seems primarily only Electricians :)

As I always say, having undertaken the experiment on a number of occasions, one gets some very interesting looks if one goes into a retail outlet and asks for a "lamp for my (table/standard/head/whatever) lamp" - and if an electrician went into such a place and asked to be directed to their display of lamps, he/she would probably end up rather disappointed :)

Kind Regards, John

I don't have any Union flags (more commonly referred to as the Butcher's Apron here), nor do I have any time for Sleepy Joe.

Surely better than his orange predecessor

Blup

That`s just reminded me of something.
years ago my sister mentioned some sale or something for because it`s coming up to "Orange Wednesday" and I had no idea what that term meant.
We are all English but of Scottish decent too.
My sisters partner is a Irishman (lovely bloke).
So I asked her "Is this to do with Richard being Irish?"
She was taken aback at how I could ask such a stupid question, nothing to do with Irish. Apparently the mobile phone thingy called Orange and they have these promotions every so often. Everybody where I work knows it then how come her own brother doesn`t? I did think of retorting "Well what is the 13th letter of the Chinese alphabet? Because 1/4 of the worlds population know that answer. Anyway I didn`t.
My sister made out like I was a bit dim.
Months later, at a party, I dropped in the term "Orange Wednesday" into the middle of a conversation .
Of about 15 people,1 knew what it was, 5 asked "Is it something to do with the Irish?".
The rest did not have a clue what it was about.

One of my sons has a retort when folk say "Didn`t you know that? Everybody knows that!!!" He remarks "Hoh, were you born with that knowledge?".

She was taken aback at how I could ask such a stupid question, nothing to do with Irish. Apparently the mobile phone thingy called Orange and they have these promotions every so often.

When the Orange network first appeared, the TV ads just said - 'The world is orange', with a freephone number to ring' It puzzled me for a very long time, what they were actually advertising. Orange, is now the EE network.

Yes, but it seems primarily only Electricians :)

As I always say, having undertaken the experiment on a number of occasions, one gets some very interesting looks if one goes into a retail outlet and asks for a "lamp for my (table/standard/head/whatever) lamp" - and if an electrician went into such a place and asked to be directed to their display of lamps, he/she would probably end up rather disappointed :)

Kind Regards, John
Agreed John,
I sometimes amuse myself by asking for something by its proper name rather than its everyday name.
Can I have a Hoover please - yes, what type of hoover do you want> A Dyson, an Electrolux, a Henry ?
I will not mention Megger and Mega.
Often its the original or the most famous brand name that becomes the name of an object.
Life is sometimes amusing

To be fair, although Edison's patent was for an "Electric Lamp", "bulb"s are still mentioned! :)

Screenshot_20230414-085938_Chrome.jpg

Often its the original or the most famous brand name that becomes the name of an object.
Life is sometimes amusing
As in the case of Tupperware, who have recently announced that without investment they will probably close down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back