Where's he gone?

As in the case of Tupperware, who have recently announced that without investment they will probably close down.
Yes good point.
As in the case of "Plastics".
To be rightly called plastic any substance needs to have the property of plasticity. Should really be called Hydro-Carbons or Polymers.
Glass - would we call it a piece of glass whereas we would never actually call it a Hard or a Brittle would we?

There are some normal words of description we use everyday.
Some words have a more technical meaning.
Some words have a more legal meaning.
Often the three meanings do not tally or their meanings overlap in part.

when I choose to use a word then that word means what I intend it to mean, no more, no less!

Sponsored Links
As in the case of Tupperware, who have recently announced that without investment they will probably close down.
Blimey, I hadn't heard of Tupperware for such long time I assumed it had vanished years ago.

Last edited:
Yes it seems an English error to refer to hard plastic, it is clearly not plastic if it's hard. But back in the 50's most plastic was only plastic while being moulded, and at room temperature it was brittle, so we started to get vinyl records which were not as brittle as the old bakelite type.

It seems some comes from plants, and some comes from animals, but often they have been compressed and stored for a long time, coal or oil, but from natural things to start with, so can't get it into my head why processing these materials makes them so bad for the environment?

when I choose to use a word then that word means what I intend it to mean, no more, no less!
I try to do that too but far too often people don't uderstand so I find myself having to use their particular word useage.

One that has always stuck in my mind: During a nightclub refit where the DJ booth was being constructed across the corner of the dance area about 3m up we specified the record decks had to be isolated from the main structure to prevent vibration being picked up. I listened to our AV consultant in heavy discussion with the builder. Their final agreement, the builder said he would 'come off' the new wall with welded brackets. Our consultant had absolutely no idea, he though he'd agreed to 'not being in contact with' whereas the builder had described being 'fixed to' the new wall.

And of course if the customer refers to plugs and fusebox I won't confuse them by using sockets and consumer unit.

Sponsored Links
We are Norfs (Lancashire/Yorkshire etc) , my Son was in London in an office, the Sun was shinning it was a lovely day. He exclaimed a typical expression around her "It`s cracking the flags" to which A. N. Other replied "Is it Windy?". (Around here we refer to paving stones as Flags)

We are Norfs (Lancashire/Yorkshire etc) , my Son was in London in an office, the Sun was shinning it was a lovely day. He exclaimed a typical expression around her "It`s cracking the flags" to which A. N. Other replied "Is it Windy?". (Around here we refer to paving stones as Flags)
I'm originally from Liverpool, born and bred. We have a saying that if you are really pleased for someone you say, "I'm made up for you."
Shortly after moving to Suffolk over 10 years ago my, (now stepdaughter), passed her driving test and, sitting around a celebratory dinner with all the family, I said, "I'm made up for you." They all looked at me strangely until one member said, "What do you mean, made up for you?"
I had to explain the meaning behind my statement and was told over here the only people to say that would be one girl to another, so her friend knew she had applied her make-up and they could now go out dancing.
The best faux-pas I made was when we had friends and family around for a dinner party. About 16-18 people sitting around a massive dinner table eating, drinking and chatting. I was talking to a man who was to become my FIL 5 years later and I mentioned something about when I was serving my time. Suddenly you could have heard a pin drop on a thick, shag-pile carpet as everyone fell totally silent. Then one of the guests puzzled me by asking what I had been 'inside' for. I burst out laughing as I realised what they 'thought' I was referring to. I had to explain that 'oop north' we called doing your apprenticeship was called serving your time and even new employers would ask where you served your time, referring to where you served your apprenticeship. It certainly made for entertaining conversation as we discussed various other sayings differences. On the day of our wedding my stepdaughter handed out pamphlets to the guests with the title, "Souse - Suffolk Dictionary for people who speak the Queens English." All in good fun and it raised a few laughs.

Nice one Conny, we had a day in The Pool only last week, not been for a while. Good to see the Liver Birds and Liver Building still there and of course the scousers, everybody loves a scouser. In fact Liverpool, Blackpool & Manchester are in Lancashire, before anyone shouts at me , yes they are. The geographical boundaries did not change even though the administrive boundaries did back in the 70s. In fact living near the Yorkshire border I even please a few Yorkshire folk too who keep wanting to return to Yorkshire even though they are now in Lancashire, I tells them exactly the same (They are still in Yorkshire) and it makes `em happy.

In fact I think one reason Yorkshire and Lancashire are at odds with other so much is not because they are different but because they are almost the same.

Us Norfs are a lot better than them there Sarfs in my humble opinion. And them Newcastle lot, their CID Plain Clothes Policemen are known as ".

Why aye Five Oh​

You probably need to be a certain age to understand that one

Last edited:
What do you mean by a certain age Danno?

I remember being in the High Street and hearing a young ternage girl screaming "I aint noshing it".

It seems she didn't like the fast food she was offered.

It seems some comes from plants, and some comes from animals, but often they have been compressed and stored for a long time, coal or oil, but from natural things to start with, so can't get it into my head why processing these materials makes them so bad for the environment?
In general plants and animals have co-evolved alongside bacteria and fungi, as organisms evolve to create new things, organisms evolve to break down those things.

But industry can create new things at a far faster pace than nature can evolve to deal with those things. Also nature is not generally optimising for durability of "dead" materials in the way that industry does. Most materials created by plants and animals are designed to function as part of a living organism. The organism faces no evoloutionary pressure to produce materials that will last long after it is dead.

@ebee, indeed they all are 'geographically speaking' still in Lancashire.
As children in school learning to write, we were taught to write our name, street, district then Liverpool, Lancashire.
Many years later, when it became Merseyside, I and many others of my era were still writing Lancashire in our address.

What do you mean by a certain age Danno?

I remember being in the High Street and hearing a young ternage girl screaming "I aint noshing it".

It seems she didn't like the fast food she was offered.
Hawaii 5 0 Jack Lord , I think a certain Mrs Thatcher watched it

@ebee, indeed they all are 'geographically speaking' still in Lancashire.
As children in school learning to write, we were taught to write our name, street, district then Liverpool, Lancashire.
Many years later, when it became Merseyside, I and many others of my era were still writing Lancashire in our address.
When Flintshire became Clwyd it was stated this was an administration area, and the counties were to retain their names, but the new administrators went past their remit and changed all the signs, latter the Clwyd was split back up again, and Flintshire returned as an administration area, but not following the old borders, Flintshire detached disappeared, so now we have complete confusion as we have the same name for an administration area and a geopolitical area which are not the same.

Also things like Pub names, the Station became the Clwyd in Shotton as in the new county, but the county Clwyd has gone, we only have the river Clwyd, so there is now a pub on the side of the river Dee, called the Clwyd, but to me it will always be the station, but Shotton has two stations, and the access has been changed so the Pub called the Central is now by the entrance to the stations.

Montgomery was a county, now it is a ward, what every that is? And even place names, Pool has changed it's name, still on mile stones as Pool, but on modern signs it's called Welshpool.

Oh and it seems Wales is not a country, it is a Principality, but Scotland is a country.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back