Which Boiler???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning all.
i have what i hope is a fairly straightforward question :LOL:
We have just moved into a bungalow in south east london that is currently fitted with a baxi 552 back boiler. i would like to fit a combi and i would like to fit it in the loft, i have not tested the water pressure but it seems to be quite low, maybe less than 1 bar. i'm not looking to spend a fortune as we may move again in 2-3 years time.
My question is this, which boiler?
I work within the plumbing/heating industry so you can get fairly technical if you like!!

Sponsored Links
Just moving to a house where the boiler is in the loft so curious as to why ya not advise fitting it up there?
Cheers :confused:

ok, i dont have to there is an airing cupboard next to the chimney breast it could go in there, i just thought putting it in the loft would make it easier for plumbing etc?

Sponsored Links
I have spent many a miserable hour servicing and repairing boilers in loft spaces where the access is poor and the lighting is poor, and the controls are down below, including the hot taps, which means any number of trips up and down the ladder to do the simplest of repairs. Rant over :evil:

I would fit a Glow worm flexicom.

Good value for money and will come with a five year warranty.

Check your flow rate and static pressure

I would be inclined to stick with a gravity system if your cold main performance is poor

Until you have some idea of pressure and flowrate it's difficult to say

But f it is low then don't bother with a combi unless your gonna fit a booster

Vaillant ecotec plus combi with flue through roof.

Put it in airing cupboard and you would not have much pipework change.

Water supply will need to be check first if it is suitable. ( flow rate and pressure ).

Dan.

thanks very much for your responses, but if i can just clarify, if my flow and pressure is poor i might just as well keep the back boiler thats already there?

If it's working fine, then yes. Get it serviced.

You can increase your performance with the system you have with a booster pump but on a combi you will be limited to your incoming main performance, without considerable expense.

The money it would cost on a new install will take a long time to recoup by the saving on gas..

If you want a new boiler/ system put in a conventional boiler with new cylinder and controls if needed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back