which book

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,I am wondering which book to buy "the IEE on site guide" or "the electricians guide to bs 7671".
Any suggestions please.

Sponsored Links
wireyboy said:
Hello,I am wondering which book to buy "the IEE on site guide" or "the electricians guide to bs 7671".
Any suggestions please.

Both, or 'it depends'. BS 7671 is 'the regs', while the OSG is a distillation of those regs, along with some practical advice. If you are training to become an electrician you should have both anyway, along with a whole lot more. If you are a keen DIY-er with some technical know-how then the OSG will probably be all you need.

It depends on what you want the book for, ie general interest or for passing electrical exams and also how much money you want to spend!!
:)

Beat me dingbat! Must get broadband and some typing lessons :LOL:

Sponsored Links
As far as my own experience as a (reasonably well informed) DIYer is concerned, w.boy, The Electricians Guide was my first purchase.

I found that this could be read like any other technical text, i.e. I could settle down to read a chapter, and by the end of it be fairly sure if I had, or had not, understood what was going on.

When I felt the subject matter and scope of it was a little better under control as a learning exercise, I got the OSG. This is far more like a list of instructions - with tonnes of tabulated data and schematics. I feel that it would be quite a challenge (at least for me) to read this book without something like the Guide to put all the information into some kind of perspective.

Just my own view mind - I am sure there may be those with different teaching and learning methods.

The Brown OSG to BS7671:2001 makes essential reading, before you even pick up the screwdriver, to commence any electrical job.

Also download and printout the Part P approved document from the building regulations website.

kai said:
The Brown OSG to BS7671:2001 makes essential reading, before you even pick up the screwdriver, to commence any electrical job.
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=75416#75416

Also download and printout the Part P approved document from the building regulations website.
But please note that the Approved Document is not the law, and it has no legal force, it is merely guidance on how the law might be adhered to.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back