Which fuel for heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening, I am in the eary stage of planning an extension. We currently just have storage hearters and an immersion heater for water. I will be putting a proper heating system with boiler in when i do the extension as well as a solar panel for hot water. My issue is that I am unsure of which type of fuel to consider. [By the way we are a long way from the nearest mains gas supply so this is out of the question].

I have rulled out GSHP and biomass due to installation cost and other factors; an oil tank seems a retrograde step with current price trends and cost unpredicatability; Calor (or whatever it is) gas is an option but expensive to install and unsightly. Does anybody known anything about the electric boilers? I'm sure they do the job, but would they be financial suicide to run.

Any comments on the electric boilers - recommendations etc running costs, or your general thoughts about off grid fuel choice would be very welcome. The house is quite big, detached, but reasonably well insulated with double glazing, cavity insulation and reasonably loft insulation. The extension will be very well insulated.

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Personally I would strongly recommend you forget all about an electric boiler. The running costs will make you regret it.

Have you thought about air source heat pumps?

I can't understand how you think calor is expensive to install :confused:

The same boiler as NG and you either get the bottles (x4) or a cylinder via calor (other gas suppliers are available :LOL: ) either for free or on a rental.

The same boiler as NG and you either get the bottles (x4) or a cylinder via calor (other gas suppliers are available :LOL: ) either for free or on a rental.

Thanks this is great stuff - exactly the sort of guidance i was hoping for. I will certainly look at air source as you suggest.

I did not read thoroughly enough about the Calor installation - i certainly didn't realise the tank would be cheap or even free, i just looked at the requirements and assumed the worst.

Thanks again,

Personally I would strongly recommend you forget all about an electric boiler. The running costs will make you regret it.

we have one and its a nice bit of kit bit long in the tooth now mind but still plods on ;)

with a bit of TLC now and again :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Hi Kevplumb, You have one what? electric, Air source or calor? How do you find the running costs?

Cheers,

Easy.

Lpg system will cost roughly the same as a mains gas system.If your site permit then you can have a bulk tank installed (approx £150 if the base is pre laid and trench dug for pipe work from tank) Bottle gas is approx £41 each plus £70-£100 for change over valve.
Running cost is expensive.

Oil system is dearer to supply and install but a lot cheaper to run.

Hi gremlin,

Thanks for the reply. Are you saying that all LPG will be expensive or are you saying that just bottle will be expensive.

From the sound of it (assuming that the installation is a small consideration over time) then you are saying oil is still the most affordable fuel for us rural types.

Cheers,

Answers are:

Electric most expensive if used direct eg: resistance heater
LPG bottled probably ruinously similar cost (unless you buy refillables and refill them at RPI in Norfolk).
Then LPG bulk tank on contract
Then Oil
Then Nat Gas
Then GSHP or ASHP (if you have a reasonably well insulated house).

Air source heat pumps are a fair compromise in terms of efficiency and install cost... and will beat oil, LPG and straight electric hands down... Air to water will heat your domestic hot water and wet heating system (With a few mods) air to air will heat your rooms very quickly as and when you use them... you have lots of options to look at, but whatever you look at spend a bit extra for decent kit

Thanks for the reply. Are you saying that all LPG will be expensive or are you saying that just bottle will be expensive.

Bottled gas was approximately 3 pence a litre dearer than for bulk tank refill.

Me personally I would go for an oil system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back