which is it likely to be?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The last few times i've spent the weekend out i've returned to find an overflow pipe at the front of house which looks to have been dripping for a while.
I'm guessing after some deduction the reason is because i'm away and therefore not using any hot or cold water in the house but my question is :which is it likely to be, a ball cock malfunction of the cold water storage tank in the loft, or something to do with the boiler (don't know if the boiler uses overflow pipes for anything hence the indecision).
Once I return home and start using things as normal the drips stop.

Sponsored Links
Odds on it is the ball valve letting by a few drips which as you say will overflow when the tank is not being drwn from.

Pete

It depends on were the pipe goes, It is most likely to be the ball valve in the cold water storage tank, as you are away and not drawing water the tank over fills and leaks, whilst home you draw more water off than can be replaced so no overflow, this is a common enough fault and easy to fix, That is though if it is the cold water tank overflow.

If I need to fix/replace the ball valve what parts do i need or can i buy a complete unit.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
just buy a complete unit as very cheap and easy to replace as long as there is an isolation point just before ball valve, should be

make sure ya got a fibre washer or some ptfe (for the mains connection) if ya going to replace the lot ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back