Which Mitre? Makita ls1214f or metabo kgs305 or dewalt dw718

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I am looking to buy a new sliding Compond mitre saw and have three I have come up with. The Dewalt Dw 718 (I ahve read some bad reviews about this one). The Metabo/Electra Beckum KGS 305, and the Makita LS1214F.

I can't decide on which one, and I am having difficulty finding unbiased reviews. If anyone has any experience of these machines that they could impart I would be most grateful.

The KGS 305 would be the easiest for me to buy cheap, plenty on ebay. so would be particularly interested in hearing about that if anyone owns one.

Or maybe you have a better suggestion for a 12"?

Loz ;)

Sponsored Links
i can only comment on the dewalt 708 which is one of the best bit so kit ive bought. I use it in all weathers outside for landscaping and decking, as well as precision work inside and its been absolutley superb in terms of performance and accuracy. So if the 718 is anything similar then its well worth a look

hello

I used to have a 708 and although it had plenty of grunt, was not acurate for precision work. That saw got stolen and I was reluctant to go back to Dewalt.

After many reviews I found that the Hitachi with the digital readout was the best but unfortunatly only available in USA.

I ended up with the 718, fitted the laser system to it and I can't fault it. I am a Festool man and if I didn't no better I would say the 718 was a re-badged Festool. Has all the grunt of my old 708 but is very acurate and much lighter to boot. I had no adjusting to make, it was fine straight out of the box.

I read good and bad revies about the 718, and can only put the bad down to damage in transit. If you get one make sure the outer box is mint.

Good luck and let us know what you get in the end.

Sponsored Links
Depending on what you are cutting the 718 might work it does have many short comings and the 708 was a much better saw. If you are cutting trim you might like this saw otherwise you will probably hate it. It is underpowered and alll the angles and height of the have been changed I returned my 718, Dewalt should have done there homework I would definately not reccomend this saw to anyone. I had a factory tech demonstrate the Metabo KGS305 for me and I was very impressed, this is one quality saw with some great cutting angles. I don't know much about the Makita although I won't buy one with a vertical handle. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back