Which oil boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Currently extending my house and it looks like I won't be able to re-site my old Worcester Bosch 12/14 oil boiler so I guess it's time to buy a new condensing one. Had one set of plumbers out who seemed liked good guys but they only fit Worcester Bosch boilers and I'm sure I've read mixed reviews about them on here. Looking at a heat only boiler around 18/25kw, any thoughts on Worcester vs Grant vs Firebird (or any other recommendations for that matter). Thanks

Sponsored Links
Grant are the best of an average bunch when it comes to oil, avoid worcestor like the plague

That's pretty much what I'd heard :( What's your thoughts on moving the existing boiler, the attached picture shows that it is currently sited in an attached 'lean to' but there's a two story extension being added to the entire side of the house. If it could be be relocated my concerns are that I would no longer have the big silver chimney taking the soot away from the house and as it will be rendered white/cream then it would make a right mess of the building. Are there kits available now with soot filters so all that's emitted is steam?

[/img]

Answer to most is no, I'd always replace now, moved a couple last year never again, sourcing old flues etc wasn't worth the hassle

Sponsored Links
Grant are the best of an average bunch when it comes to oil, avoid worcestor like the plague

Avoid Grant 'Leaker' Boilers, Worcester 'Tupperware' Bosch Boilers like the plague.
Fit Firebird oil boilers every time, not the best looking boiler in the world, but if they're commoissioned correctly they last for years, we've fitted 100s & they never miss a beat.

Fitted a few firebird, they rot like mad, tech and reps even mention and say they won't last 5 years until the condense rots

Hi Boxerman.

I suggest external oil boiler.

Grant is the quality product but I've also installed Warmflow and they
seem reasonable if a little unfinished.
I suggest external boiler. Job done just connect up the heating
pipes, electric and away you go. Don't mess about with old boiler
more hassle than it is worth. Especially since you have that monstrosity
of a flue outside.
I install system boilers.
Remove header tank job done all in the one box.

What sort of prices have you been quoted?

I've seriously given up with firebird, the condense traps are literally lasting 2-3 years before they rust through, pain the bloody ass

My vote goes for Worcester. We're fitting an 18/25 external tomorrow, coincidentally.

It's all been said before, do a search on oilboilers.

For my customers, I'm comfortable giving them a five year warranty. It is what people want, peace of mind. They are not as easy to service or install as a Grant, but why should that concern the homeowner?

I'll fit a Grant if someone wants one, they are not badly made but their support is poor compared to Bosch.

I'd also say that the Worcester is a bit quieter than the Grant.

My vote goes for Worcester. We're fitting an 18/25 external tomorrow, coincidentally.

It's all been said before, do a search on oilboilers.

For my customers, I'm comfortable giving them a five year warranty. It is what people want, peace of mind. They are not as easy to service or install as a Grant, but why should that concern the homeowner?

I'll fit a Grant if someone wants one, they are not badly made but their support is poor compared to Bosch.

I'd also say that the Worcester is a bit quieter than the Grant.

Spot on reply ...... we are also Worcester accredated and 5 year warranty is worth its weight

some me interesting replies and opinions.

Unfortunately I can't fit an external bolier as there's no space immediately outside the new structure as I need room to get a double pram around (twins!!) and only have about 4 feet of space to spare.

If practicle, I could site the boiler on a concrete pad in the garden about 20 feet from the house where the oill tank is also located but is this

a: safe?
b: practicle due to heat loss through 2ft of external pipes

The system boiler sounds interesting, what benefits would this gove me over a heat only boiler, and would this be best couple to an unvented tank or perhaps thermal store rather than my current gravity set up. (I understand that a thermal store would allow me to to add air or ground source at a later date if i wanted to)

I have pictures of just such an installation we did about 2 yrs ago on my web site blog.

We located a Greenstar Camray external 30ft down a garden, near the oil tank. But not near enough to be against OFTEC regs, before you ask.

some me interesting replies and opinions.

Unfortunately I can't fit an external bolier as there's no space immediately outside the new structure as I need room to get a double pram around (twins!!) and only have about 4 feet of space to spare.

If practicle, I could site the boiler on a concrete pad in the garden about 20 feet from the house where the oill tank is also located but is this

a: safe?
b: practicle due to heat loss through 2ft of external pipes

The system boiler sounds interesting, what benefits would this gove me over a heat only boiler, and would this be best couple to an unvented tank or perhaps thermal store rather than my current gravity set up. (I understand that a thermal store would allow me to to add air or ground source at a later date if i wanted to)

An external boiler can be away where outside. Front, back or side of house.
It would be approx 2ft wide. You can still integrate an air source heat pump later. It doesn't have to have a thermal store.

Hi Boxerman.

I suggest external oil boiler.

Grant is the quality product but I've also installed Warmflow and they
seem reasonable if a little unfinished.
I suggest external boiler. Job done just connect up the heating
pipes, electric and away you go. Don't mess about with old boiler
more hassle than it is worth. Especially since you have that monstrosity
of a flue outside.
I install system boilers.
Remove header tank job done all in the one box.

What sort of prices have you been quoted?

Just had my 1st quote in, fit new WB boiler, 210 litre unvented tank and underfloor heating circuit for approx. 25sq metres (i'll be doing the screeding myself), total cost £6500 !!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back