Which order do you do which jobs when refurbishing?

T

teaboyjim

I'm starting to finish refurbishing a 4 bed mid terraced house. I've decided to try to project manage the work myself
What is the general order of building work that has to be done eg. What work is done first and is this work called "First fix"?
What jobs are called "Second fix"?

The main jobs are:
1. Complete rewire throughout the house
2. Complete new central heating system (excluding current boiler which will possibly keep)
3. Screed and plaster the kitchen and board and skim the ceiling
4. All the water pipes need replacing as the old lead pipes have been now taken out so that's all water pipes back to the mains

https://bit.ly/3s9zDcS
This shows the kitchen. The kitchen was originally two rooms separated by a wall/chimney and so I took it out to make the kitchen bigger

Sponsored Links
This is the order I would do it in.

New mains install

Plumbing, leaving ends to radiators and gas appliances unterminated. (Do plumbing first so sparks can account for the required bonding)

Re-wire first fix, leaving cable end's un terminated, ( a couple of sockets should be left live so you have power and lighting)

Plasterboard, Plaster, screed, kitchen install, painting walls. Installing skirting board and architrave. Etc etc

2nd fix electrics and plumbing

Touch up any damages to decoration

Install carpet or laminate,

Put building up for sale or move in.

This is the order I would do it in. New mains install
So you mean the new mains water pipe? If so then this can be done as a "work parcel" because I want to put down concrete floors in the two other downstairs living rooms and we would have to put the new larger pipe through there somehow. That do you think this could be a self contained job all on it's own?
Plumbing, leaving ends to radiators and gas appliances unterminated. (Do plumbing first so sparks can account for the required bonding)
So the plumbing comes after the electrical rewire and so is this called "1rst fix plumbing"? - What does it mean "sparks can account for the required bonding"?
Re-wire first fix, leaving cable end's un terminated, ( a couple of sockets should be left live so you have power and lighting)
So then after the plumbing comes the Re-wire first fix. Is first fix where everything is in place except for the ends being wired into the boxes?
Plasterboard, Plaster, screed, kitchen install, painting walls. Installing skirting board and architrave. Etc etc
So then this means plasterboard, Plaster and screed all come at the end before the second fix electrics and plumbings.
2nd fix electrics and plumbing. Touch up any damages to decoration. Install carpet or laminate, Put building up for sale or move in.
So then second fix electrics and plumbing would be putting the end boxes on the electrical wires and putting the radiators on the wall connected to the pipes

You want to do all your messy ripping out and structural alterations first, then build it back in layers.

So the wires are under the plasterboards so need to go in first, but the actual sockets and switched are ontop of the plaster so need to go in last.

Sponsored Links
So you mean the new mains water pipe? If so then this can be done as a "work parcel" because I want to put down concrete floors in the two other downstairs living rooms and we would have to put the new larger pipe through there somehow. That do you think this could be a self contained job all on it's own? Yeah, but if you are wanting anything to be buried in the concrete you need to make sure that section is done, for example heating pipes, just lay the pipes with the ends poking out where you want them and then poor the flooring.

So the plumbing comes after the electrical rewire and so is this called "1rst fix plumbing"? - What does it mean "sparks can account for the required bonding"? No first fix plumbing comes. Before electrical first fix. First fix plumbing is pipe layout, as to do a nice job, you'd want to bury the pipes in the walls. The electrician will need to earth bond the pipework, in my mind it's easier if the sparky does it at the time of first fix but in reality it doesn't matter.

So then after the plumbing comes the Re-wire first fix. Is first fix where everything is in place except for the ends being wired into the boxes? No plumbing first then electrics. First fix wiring is all the messy behind scenes bit and putting the circuits into place. So chasing wires into walls, lay cables in ceilings and floors, fitting the back boxes and poking the cable through the backbox, but not terminating it. The consumer unit would also be in first fix.

So then this means plasterboard, Plaster and screed all come at the end before the second fix electrics and plumbings.

Yes, this is all the messy bit before it starts looking nice. Once all the messy parts are done including painting, (it's much easier to paint with no rads and not sockets and switches) then 2 fix plumbing and electric can be done.

So then second fix electrics and plumbing would be putting the end boxes on the electrical wires and putting the radiators on the wall connected to the pipes

Yep

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back