Whiny CH/HW system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
System: Y-plan. Gas CH. Over 20 years old, boiler over 10 years.

I've noticed for the past couple of weeks that my system (possibly the boiler, but it's hard to know) is making a whining noise at times. It's hard to pin down but at the moment the heating isn't being called on so it's purely down to flow for the hot water.

The noise is reminiscent of an incident several years ago. We had some work done on the system and the engineer decided to close the manual bypass valve because he said we didn't need it. The next morning it was like a pack of wolves had taken residence in the house. I discovered that opening the bypass eventually cured the problem so I left it partially opened.

Fast forward today it /seems/ like opening the bypass completely stops the whining. I had some issues with air in the system last year but tracked it down to my vent pipe being too low. The system ran for several months with no further sign of air.

How badly does a fully open bypass valve impact system efficiency? From a quick test last night it seems to still pump water around the rads.

FYI there are pictures of my airing cupboard pipework in my earlier thread:

//www.diynot.com/forums/plumbing/yay-noisy-central-heating.380519/#2914684

Sponsored Links
I've noticed for the past couple of weeks that my boiler is making a whining noise at times. It's hard to pin down

Have you tried taking it out for dinner sometimes and showing it some affection, maybe saying I love you once in a while?

Sponsored Links
You will need a gas engineer to service the boiler. It is sound like one of part is worn out.

Daniel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back