Whirlpool AWO D4605 - wont start a wash cycle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there - wonder if anyone can shed some light on the following. Have a Whirlpool AWO D4605 washing machine. When the START button is pressed to start a wash cycle - nothing happens. No error lights are lit (door open etc) just sits there and looks at you.

Would normally hear the drain pump kick in then start filling with water. Anyone got any ideas whats happening?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Seen lots of these where buttons have been pressed to hard & either disappeared completely into the console...or busted the weak plastic bits that operate the the micro switches. I'm not saying this is definitely what has happened in your case but its worth bearing in mind.

Suppose you could start by taking off the console & checking if anything is bust or if the pcb has become unclipped from its seating, this happens quite often. The start button is connected to a tiny micro-switch on the pcb via frail plastic bits (all the buttons are). The whole thing is a piece of cheap junk prone to falling apart if you sneeze near it. It would be extremely difficult to bypass the start button without performing some very tricky surgery/soldering on the pcb & I wouldn't recommend trying.
I suppose the nearest you would get is trying to activate the start micro-switch manually. Be sure to pull the plug before starting. If you take off the console you may get away with removing the outer start button temporarily, refitting the console again & carefully trying to activate the micro-switch through the open hole. If you do this BE SURE to using a plastic knitting needle or similar (do not use your finger or anything conductive :eek: ).
Be careful taking things apart...it is so very easy to break something :(

Sponsored Links
Hi - thanks for taking the time to reply.

I had opened the door of the machine and turned the drum a couple of times and now the machine is working again. So obviously looks like its not the switch!!!

Anyone got any ideas why this happened?

Thanks in advance

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back