Whirlpool Dishwasher ADP4601 Switches on then turns off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I turn my Whirlpool Dishwasher ADP4601 on it fills with water, then pumps it out and switches itself off. This is about 2-3 minutes start to finish. No flashing lights or beeps - running the hold start until flashing test returns a result of five flashing lights (on a seemingly continuous cycle).

I've done a bit of reading and I've learnt that the wash motor may be the problem (and that these are dear). I want to do everything I can though before getting a quote to fix this (or even getting a new machine, which may be cheaper?) and I've read about clearing blockages, cleaning grills/diaphragms - but do not have enough info to be clear what I have to do. Also, I've removed the filter at the bottom by unscrewing it and had a good nose around the recess there, but there is nothing at 3 O'Clock (no grill or diaphragm evident). Instead, at 3 O'Clock there is a piece of plastic about 4-5cm wide that sticks up and mostly covers a large hole behind it. This plastic piece is part of the whole larger bit i.e. it does not remove and there is no obvious way to get anything that far behind it to clean (which would be blind cleaning anyway). Finally, my wife has washed a fair few jam jars which I read can be a cause of blockages!

I hope there is enough detail here for somebody with knowledge of these machines to advise on the things that I should do myself before biting the bullet and forking out large sums of cash. I have a star key that fits and I'm not averse to some basic/intermediary troubleshooting!

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back