who is at fault

Can the driver disengage the brake/press the go button without these lock lights, or is it more like a car seatbelt warning light?

Sponsored Links
no interlock no power
brakes may or may not be effected dependent on setup

There is obviously a lot more to this than we can deduce from the press articles.

Can the driver disengage the brake/press the go button without these lock lights, or is it more like a car seatbelt warning light?
In a situation where a door becomes faulty, he can't just park his train and call it a day, sure there must be some procedures that he has to follow, a train should not be able to move if a door interlock or a sensor signal overrides train to proceed, therefore a driver must then phone his supervisor of the problem and then override the faulty door signal or physically go down to check and manually close the door to override interlock and then proceed to allow other trains to use the line and platform. In this case he may have simply pressed an override button without thinking that someone may have been trapped, as he may have been experiencing an intermittent door problem.

Sponsored Links
faulty doors can be "locked out off use"
this may or may not have a built in illuminated sign near the individual buttons controlling the isolated doors dependent on stock
but physically locking the door via a carrage key usually at the inside head off the mechanism will mechanically lock the door and isolate electrically as if if doesn't exist

Last edited:
I don't travel much on trains, but once I traveled on had slam shut doors, with a handle, presumably interlocked once the train starts to move, so they can't be opened by passengers whilst the train is moving, however on the underground the doors were sliding type where often the trains were delayed as commuters kept dashing to step in whilst the doors were closing and they would then get stuck half way and train unable to move so the guard would open the doors again and shut them again, this caused delays and many times several attempts were needed to get the doors closed properly, yes and they work on compressed air, busses have similar situation too and I have heard of many stories where buses have started to move away whilst passenger clothing or handbag is left stuck half way and driver is unable to see due to standing passengers, a driver has to look in his right mirror to pull out and he can't be looking in his left mirror to see if a person or clothing is trapped.

Yes maybe there was an error by the driver but if there was an error it was an error due to a dangerous situation created by the passenger who tried to board the train after the doors had begun to close.
Crikey Bernie, when was the last time you used a train?
My guess is that the people who oversee train networks legislate for people making a dash for the train doors. What do you reckon? I think they call it human nature and you may find an awful lot of people do it.(y)

Was there a fault by the driver, or is this the automatic knee jerk reaction of needing someone to blame. I've no idea if there was an interlock on the door, but the women has obviously tried to get on the train after the driver closed the doors, so it's possible that the driver should have made a final check before he started the train, and whilst that would make him negligent, how much will the woman get blamed or even end up in court for her stupidity.

Last edited by a moderator:
So if by chance the same thing happened and it wasn't a say, a mad dash for the train, then who is responsible?

There could be other circumstances that lead to someone having their hand trapped and not necessarily someone trying to enter the train. The driver is at fault. End of. Knee jerk my erse. Ooer missus!

So if by chance the same thing happened and it wasn't a say, a mad dash for the train, then who is responsible?

There could be other circumstances that lead to someone having their hand trapped and not necessarily someone trying to enter the train. The driver is at fault. End of. Knee jerk my erse. Ooer missus!
shall we be a bit more subjective here
the doors must have been 98% or more closed other wise she would have a far greater part off her body through the door
perhaps she tried to force the doors open
perhaps batman or superman wasnt paying attention
i tell you what i will wait for the facts before i form an opinion :D

Sponsored Links
Back