Who is attending Church on Easter Sunday?

Even die hard republicans will agree that there is a king, even if they don't agree he should exist.
I was referring to the fact that by default, swearing allegiance to a king is also swearing allegiance to the 'defender of the faith'...

A 'faith' that cannot be proven to exist!

Sponsored Links
One thing I've never understood is, when Christians decided to hijack all he pagan festivals to promote their own religion, why was it only Easter (Ēostre, old German for Spring, and also the Goddess of Spring) that kept the lunar calendar dates? Why didn't they just fix that one in place like the others?

Interesting question!

I remember wondering why it changed each year as a kid, and then being told that it was the first Sunday after the first full moon after the Spring equinox, and thinking that was weird.

One thing I've never understood is, when Christians decided to hijack all he pagan festivals to promote their own religion, why was it only Easter (Ēostre, old German for Spring, and also the Goddess of Spring) that kept the lunar calendar dates? Why didn't they just fix that one in place like the others?
To be fair the believers of another imaginary friend (Islam) fall into the same category of stupidness as regards the date of when their fairy tale was first published...

All very well following Ramadan at or near the equator, but you have to feel sorry for the buggers who endure it at the extreme northern/southern countries during their summer months...

Oh but wait, there are certain 'allowances' that now come into play...

Yet more man made up madness in the name of 'belief'!

Sponsored Links
Interesting question!

I remember wondering why it changed each year as a kid, and then being told that it was the first Sunday after the first full moon after the Spring equinox, and thinking that was weird.
Yes, because it is a pagan festival, just like Christmas is help at mid-winter (a few days later), and the church still pop up in schools for harvest festival too. Labour day / May bank holiday is for Maia (May) goddess, and St John's Day, which is celebrated in Catholic counties (we dropped if for some reason) is from Fortuna, the goddess of luck.

For Easter, the eggs and bunnies should be a dead giveaway that this is a festival of fertility and new life, and not a celebration of some insurgent and tax dodger who got nailed to the cross by the Romans.

432207555_10233375705399028_854378153049859513_n.jpg

Yes, because it is a pagan festival, just like Christmas is help at mid-winter (a few days later), and the church still pop up in schools for harvest festival too. Labour day / May bank holiday is for Maia (May) goddess, and St John's Day, which is celebrated in Catholic counties (we dropped if for some reason) is from Fortuna, the goddess of luck.

For Easter, the eggs and bunnies should be a dead giveaway that this is a festival of fertility and new life, and not a celebration of some insurgent and tax dodger who got nailed to the cross by the Romans.

I believe that in France, it is the Easter bell that delivers the chocolate eggs.. yeah, it is odd.

A 'faith' that cannot be proven to exist!
Faith is a human characteristic. It could be lumped in with other unexplained stuff like emotion - love etc. Largely unprovable but none the less, extremely influential amongst those armed with the process of thought.

Faith is a human characteristic. It could be lumped in with other unexplained stuff like emotion - love etc. Largely unprovable but none the less, extremely influential amongst those armed with the process of thought.
Of thought, or control ?

I have been a lifelong churchgoer (67), but not of late. Though I may go with my wife on Sunday, for tradition's sake. You could call it a 'crisis of faith'.

Is a 'diety' a slimmed down form of religion?

But I think that Stephen Fry clip deserves another outing...

Pure Genius!

I remember watching this when it first emerged, but its full of emotional arguments and no solutions.

Also, if there is no god, where does Fry/ atheists get their sense of justice and injustice from? On what grounds does he make a judgement about things being 'evil', which is a moral, not a rational, category?

I shall be attending church on Sunday and taking holy communion :cool: a good few in here should do the same imo and seek spiritual
enlightenment

I remember watching this when it first emerged, but its full of emotional arguments and no solutions.

Also, if there is no god, where does Fry/ atheists get their sense of justice and injustice from? On what grounds does he make a judgement about things being 'evil', which is a moral, not a rational, category?
Do you really need a book and a preacher to tell you killing people is bad ...

Sponsored Links
Back