Who is attending Church on Easter Sunday?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Yes, there is no proof for the supernatural. It's obviously a man made concept, and an evil one at that.
This is a weird feeling, I agree with Denny.

Religion on the whole isn’t for me.

Of thought.

Those that have become so desperate, that death seems the only way out, often become enlightened in solitude. Nowt to do with control, or anyone else.
The same can be said about a bench overlooking the sea, or mountains, or countryside.

The church, religion, has been used as control over the years (probably still is in places).

The double standards of criticising others for their "spiritual enlightenment".

But he can go in, repent all his sins, come out with a clear slate and do it all over again.

That doesn't make him right, other than in his head.

A good life can be led without any of that.

The biblical concept of being able to be forgiven anything and go to heaven, as long as you're really sorry about it later, is obscene.

We are bunches of chemicals cobbled together through chance and the forces of evolution.
There isn't evidence for anything else.
To answer the unknowns, it's predictable that some "other" entity would be imagined. And that's what has happened in isolated communities all over the world.
None of that says anything about whether there IS another entity. Its existence would only generate further unknowns.

It's hocus pocus, reinforced by tradition. Tradition doesn't make it respectable. It's a self-serving delusion, as sane as believing there are fairies at the bottom of the garden.

Are you dismissing belief and christianity as a load of nonsense? Then why is it so different from any other belief which you have?
Yes. Nonsense. Obviously it is completely different from other beliefs. I believe that if yo let go of something it will fall to the ground. If you don't see that, you're being stupid, on purpose. Other beliefs have some evidence.
You're talking shyte. And you can't defend it by saying believing shyte is a good thing because lots of people do the same.

Faith is a human characteristic. It could be lumped in with other unexplained stuff like emotion - love etc. Largely unprovable but none the less, extremely influential amongst those armed with the process of thought.
Imho it's different. Emotional drivers like those which drive fight, flight, and to be safe and reproduce are necessary to keep a species alive. I see faith in a supernatural as a mechanism of the devloped imagination to shield an individual from unknowns - dealing with insoluble fears. Species which (I assume) don't have a well developed imagination, like desmids and dogs, wouldn't be bothered by unknowns.
It's an obvious delevopment of the hocus pocus to share it with others - a self- fulfilling extension to the delusion to try to bolster it.

I remember watching this when it first emerged, but its full of emotional arguments and no solutions.

Also, if there is no god, where does Fry/ atheists get their sense of justice and injustice from? On what grounds does he make a judgement about things being 'evil', which is a moral, not a rational, category?
One can objectify emotions easily - as here. If there's no evidence, a "solution" is never going to happen, whatever the question was.

"Justice" is a set of rules we've invented to keep the species going, and not doing things which we agree are wrong, like killing people without a good reason. That's simple. Nobody needs to imagine a god to make up their own set of rules.
I shall be attending church on Sunday and taking holy communion :cool: a good few in here should do the same imo and seek spiritual
enlightenment
You need a set of off-the-shelf moralities based on superstition? Enlightenment - how do you know it's not an imagined delusion?

Do you really need a book and a preacher to tell you killing people is bad ...
Not at all, and I for one think it's more complex than the book says if you take the decalogue as the rules, so the Christian book is wrong, as is the Islam one. The Shias are just pathetic, as are the other few dozen sects which make up their own rules.

It only takesone rule to be crap, for the whole ideological edifice to evaporate.

Last edited:
We are bunches of chemicals cobbled together through chance and the forces of evolution.
There isn't evidence for anything else.
Tradition doesn't make it respectable. It's a self-serving delusion, as sane as believing there are fairies at the bottom of the garden.
Then what is the difference between a human being and a chocolate easter rabbit then? The answer according to the atheist perspective is that there is no real difference. Any difference is just an illusion—there is no ultimate value. If everything is based on matter and prior physical causes, chemicals and processes, then nothing has real value.

You then can't put any value on yourself or anyone.

Then what is the difference between a human being and a chocolate easter rabbit then?
Chocolate bunny rabbits don't choose one of the thousands of gods, and therefore haven't signed up to genocide, rape, misogyny, slavery, or loads more immoral things.

Chocolate bunny rabbits don't choose one of the thousands of gods, and therefore haven't signed up to genocide, rape, misogyny, slavery, or loads more immoral things.
Er wrong answer.
You need to justify why you have values and even worse for you- how are you judging the above as wrong- on what standard? We are just chemicals aren't we?? So how are you putting value and morals on???

From your naturalist atheist viewpoint, why is rape wrong, or murder etc

Sponsored Links
Back