Why is there a delay in my new light coming on?

No, not had chance, back to work today - will look at over the weekend-thanks

Sponsored Links
just make sure you turn off the breaker or pull the fuse for the lights beforehand and use a torch to inspect it.

I wonder if hes borrowed a neutral somewhere? - Wernt you the guy that posted the other day regarding wiring the switch up for the outside light? - If you are (I think you said you were that person in your above post) - where did you get the NEUTRAL feed to the light fitting from??

Now working fine!!

I tried a different bulb & there is no longer a delay. The original bulb I was using was one of those energy efficient low wattage - 15 I think, but still gives the same 60 watts brightness.

I've put in down to that as all seems to be fine now?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
dena007 said:
Hi, it's just a normal light with a 60 watt screw-in bulb
looks like it's down to interpretation as to what is a "normal 60w bulb" ;) could have saved some time if you had described it as an energy saver to start with. :)

i agree entirley, we can only work with the information provided, if the poster had given the correct information in the first place it would havebeen sorted by now

i have noticed a few things about this forum:

some people think there is a dedicated paid team who answer questions (not just here in uk electrics)

some also think they are the only one who has had this problem

they seem to think we know what they are refering to when they are vague

and finally Americans dont read, and spill things

dena007 said:
Now working fine!!

I tried a different bulb & there is no longer a delay. The original bulb I was using was one of those energy efficient low wattage - 15 I think, but still gives the same 60 watts brightness.

I've put in down to that as all seems to be fine now?

Thank you
FFS - you were explictly asked the question!

Even if when you first posted you didn't think the lamp type was important, why did you not tell the truth when you were asked?

Sorry, I just grabbed the nearest bulb available in my spares, it was only when playing around with it yesterday that I noticed it was one of those special low energy type ones.

Will know better next time!

PS Why does using a low energy bulb cause the delay?

i'm not a huge expert on how low energy bulbs work but i think they need to charge up before there is enough voltage on the output contacts to strike an arc in the tube

the energy savers are actually the same sort as the long flourescent tubes, which also take a couple of seconds to energise. They are just more compact and twisted up so they can be fitted in a normal light fitting.

FAO Plugwash (and anybody else who's interested):

i'm not a huge expert on how low energy bulbs work but i think they need to charge up before there is enough voltage on the output contacts to strike an arc in the tube

Almost but not quite. The workings of the traditional (non-electronic) fluorescent tube and starter are really quite ingenious.

Firstly, full mains voltage appears across the starter which is a small gas discharge lamp. This strikes immediately allowing current to flow through the ballast and both tube filaments. You can see the filaments heating up in the tube ends. They need to be hot for the next stage.

A bi-metal strip in the starter has been warming up in the gas discharge. It now opens an internal contact, breaking the circuit. The inductive ballast doesn't like this and generates a high voltage spike which, with luck, causes the tube to strike. If it doesn't work, the bimetal strip is cooling down ready to start the whole process all over again.

Once the tube strikes, most of the available voltage is dropped across the ballast. The voltage across the starter is now too low for its own little lamp to ignite. It sits there doing nothing until next time. The filaments are kept hot by the main discharge in the tube.

If all that made sense you can now appreciate the importance of using the right starter. If you use a small tube starter with a big tube, the tube's running voltage might be high enough to ignite the starter's gas discharge. The already running tube will then keep trying to restart. As tubes get old their running voltage goes up anyway and the same thing happens.

Electronic starters get rid of the gas discharge lamp and bi-metal strip. They conduct initially then break the circuit after a preset time delay. The effect on the tube is the same but one size now fits all. In the new compact fluorescents even the ballast is electronic. The starter circuit must break the filament current and also generate the voltage spike.

dena007 said:
Sorry, I just grabbed the nearest bulb available in my spares, it was only when playing around with it yesterday that I noticed it was one of those special low energy type ones.
You should be thankful that you didn't do that for a light controlled by a dimmer.....

felix said:
FAO Plugwash (and anybody else who's interested):

Electronic starters get rid of the gas discharge lamp and bi-metal strip. They conduct initially then break the circuit after a preset time delay. The effect on the tube is the same but one size now fits all. In the new compact fluorescents even the ballast is electronic. The starter circuit must break the filament current and also generate the voltage spike.
link to circuit diagram of above: http://members.misty.com/don/linefl.gif

Our friends in Yorks have a couple of wall lights with CFL's and they're on a bog-standard dimmer. Funnily enough, it works a dream!

Never seen that before or since!

securespark said:
Our friends in Yorks have a couple of wall lights with CFL's and they're on a bog-standard dimmer. Funnily enough, it works a dream!

Never seen that before or since!
Although not recommended It has been achieved before at work but a dummy resistive load had to be plugged in parallel across the dimmer albeit the dimmer in question was a "professional" type with specs to drive flourescent lighting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back