Why is there a delay in my new light coming on?

i see no reason a cuircuit like the one at http://members.misty.com/don/linefl.gif couldn't be dimmed as long as you maintain enough voltage to stop the arc in the tube collapsing. Its just an artrangement of passives and diodes.

i think the main issue with cfls and dimmers is that the dimmers sometimes interact badly with the cuircuits in the bulbs not that the bulbs cannot be dimmed. Its hard to design something to work predectiblly when connected in series with an unpredictable load and with no seperate power supply for the control logic.

Sponsored Links
plugwash said:
i see no reason a cuircuit like the one at http://members.misty.com/don/linefl.gif couldn't be dimmed as long as you maintain enough voltage to stop the arc in the tube collapsing. Its just an artrangement of passives and diodes.

i think the main issue with cfls and dimmers is that the dimmers sometimes interact badly with the cuircuits in the bulbs not that the bulbs cannot be dimmed. Its hard to design something to work predectiblly when connected in series with an unpredictable load and with no seperate power supply for the control logic.
it not the driver circuit alone thats the problem but the linking to a dimmer, in maintaining correct timing and triggering of the circuit , it ( the dimmer) may not perform properly if it sees no load for starters with the triac output "leaking". The capacitance of the attached circuit unless balanced by a dummy load or alternative (usually not incorporated in domestic dimmers)circuitry may hinder the timed output and therefore the dimming action.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back