Why is there no definitive answer to the question.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
...."lining paper horizontal or vertical?" ?

If doing one feature wall, I can ignore any issue of coinciding seams, so are there other issues to consider? Obviously it'd make it an easier job for an amateur like me to line vertically.

I have read loads of posts that contradict each other. I wonder if pros just say "cross line every time" just because that's how they were taught and so never give it a second thought after that? I mean, what's the real reason for cross-lining? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Let's say you have a wall that's 17'6" long. and 7'6" high, It would take 4 lengths to line horizontally and 10 lengths to line vertically. So I'll take the 4 lengths. It's also easier.
Let's say you have a wall at the side of a window or chimney breast, that's 7'6" high x 20" wide, it would take 4 lengths horizontal or 1 length vertical, so I'll do the vertical now.
Adjust accordingly, but if you're incapable of horizontal, then vertical it is for you.

It's no real drama but as a pro' you wouldn't want any joins to coincide and the more you do it, the more chance of it happening.

That's as precise an answer as I could have hoped for. Thanks.

Now let's see loads of other pros come and disagree as to why you do it that way!

Now let's see loads of other pros come and disagree as to why you do it that way!

Pro's won't argue with that, only 'experts' who read Readers Digest DIY etc. :)

Perfectly explained Growler ;)

Sponsored Links
TBH, I thought the reason would be something to do with edges, or shrinkage in different directions, or something.

Thanks again. As an amateur I will stick to vertical for now!

You will never get a define answer.
Doesn't matter witch way you line just whatever is easy'r for you!

When papering its best to go horizontal but not essential as you can off- set your finish paper so the joint of the lining isn't clashing withthe joint of the finish paper.

Regards to emulsioning over lining I always do vertical drops but again doesn't matter, any joins that show after the 1st coat of emulsion just fill and job done.

Always makesure you don't over lap then its a pain.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back