Why service a boiler?

Sponsored Links
Looks like an old Baxi WM open flued.Easy boiler to service so there's no excuse for that.

could you see what had caused it to soot so badly barkie. Poor pilot, flame picture, overgassed?

Sponsored Links
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: That aint been serviced in the last 12 months surely? If it has, how on earth has it managed to soot up?

I only de-soot on Saturday afternoons now as its a messy job and I cant work in any more properties after fixing a mess like that.

Mr. W.

nope? got called out because the flame was becoming starved of air so was lifting all over the place it had melted the gas valve if you look at one pic you can see the spark switch has melted off :eek:. this was friends boiler in a council house capped it ID and told him to get the council out ASAP :eek: ps did a flue flow check just to illustrate the seriousness and all spilled into kitchen.

could you see what had caused it to soot so badly barkie. Poor pilot, flame picture, overgassed?

The wire mesh filter on the burner must have blocked to cause that. Cannot see 'over-gassed' causing that and a poor pilot light would have not sooted the whole heat ex.

Just my opinion though.

Mr. W.

this was friends boiler in a council house capped it ID and told him to get the council out ASAP :

I was gonna say was that a council property and then i spotted it.
I worked for years on council servicing contracts and came across it all the time from what the cowboys had left in previous years.

Not being a gas fitter i can only guess that the black stuff (soot) in the pics shouldnt be there

Any chance of a pic of what it should look like or a pic after it has been serviced properly!!!

thats fook all compared to some oil boilers i see. had baffle plates with about an inch of soot on em.and only get called in when they see the **** flying out of the flue. and that can be after a 2 week service. still shocking though on a gas appliance.

this was friends boiler in a council house capped it ID and told him to get the council out ASAP :

I worked for years on council servicing contracts and came across it all the time from what the cowboys had left in previous years.

A lot of social housing work is done on the basis of outsourcing to the cheapest bidder, going as low as about 15 squid per “service” plus lgsc.
Peanuts....monkeys.

I agree with that comment 100% not enough money after the Dutch Auction of a Tendering process to do the job properly or make a profit!

the result is - See OP :rolleyes:

I was gonna say was that a council property and then i spotted it.
I don`t know what I`m more amazed @ = The state of the boiler , or that there are still council houses being rented by councils :LOL: Stop bloody wingeing about contract Social Housing work . I was direct employed from 80-87 and then a certain politician sacked the lot of us :rolleyes: Long live the free market economy :mrgreen: You all got what you voted for .

Stop bloody wingeing about contract Social Housing work . .[/quote said:
You won't catch me whinging :D
I was getting £15.60 a boiler ten years ago..Work it out how many you could do in a week ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back