Wickes 102/Halstead Ace High - No DHW Only CH Working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I have a Wickes 102 aka Halstead Ace High, and i have a little problem with it and it is that i have Central Heating but no Hot Water. The problem started just last Friday.

When i open a tap there's nothing happening on the combi boiler, before last friday, there use to be a click when i opened a tap and then the boiler would fire up and i'd have hot water, but now there's no click at all and therefore the boiler doesn't fire up.

When the Central Heating is running, it should switch from the Central Heating to the Hot Water, but now it doesn't do that.

I've had plumber come out on Friday and before he came out he said it sounded like a "Thermistor" had gone.

He then came out poked about inside the boiler and he said its definatly the "Thermistor" and took down the part number from the manual and went on his way. After he went i sat down and had a look through the manual again, and saw that he was looking at the Central Heating Thermistor instead of the Hot Water one.

Which made think twice about calling him back, but he came back Monday with the thermistor and found out he had ordered the the wrong part, and i also pointed out to him that he was looking at the wrong Thermistor, so at which point he asked for the manual which confirmed what i had said.

So then he decided to have a look at the "Domestic Hot Water Flow Switch", took it off and then opened a tap and then proceeded to press the micro switch down and it then fired up the boiler. So then he said it would be a "Diaphragm" he noted the part number which i found out afterwards was for a "Flow Switch Body" and he went on his way.

Basically, i don't know much in the way of how the boiler works, and was wondering what could actually be wrong with the boiler since the first incident with the guy looking at the wrong part is putting doubts in my mind if he actually knows what's wrong with it

Thanks for help in advance and sorry for the long read

Sponsored Links
You need a Flow switch service kit. Basically just a diaphragm that costs £30.

Your chap doesnt know how to fix boilers. I dont like putting people down, like some, but this is one of the most basic faults on a basic boiler.

NB. you can replace the complete flowswitch valve, which houses the diaphragm, but being halstead i dread to think what it costs but is quicker to replace.

Yep, diaphragm.
I didn't do the job on one of these yesterday cos I'm just out of hospital and a chippy friend in need, being a pest, needed it doing.

So I sat back and gave intructions while he did it!
WIth exactlly the right tools etc it took him 10 minutes after lowering the front...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back