Wierd inline Fuse Thing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - need your help please.

I'm renovating a 1960s house. I have discovered (now that I've got the carpets down :evil: ) that there is this wierd plastic thing on the wall. It is about 3 ins (sorry, 75mm) square, has an oval hole in it (like it could be a thermostat or something similar). On inspection, it contains a 1 amp fuse, and seems to be an inline fuse on some grey cable. The cable is part of the lighting circuit (goes dead when I break the MCB for the lights).
I haven't investigated further since I reall don't want to rip up the carpets. I'm faced with putting in a simple connection plate unless anyone's got any idea as to what this can be???

Many thanks !

Sponsored Links
Surely when you started renovating a 40 year-old house you would have had the electrics checked out before you put carpets down, so what did the inspection divulge about the function of this weird plastic thing?

Why does an oval hole mean it could be a thermostat or something similar? What is similar to a thermostat anyway?

If there's a fuse in there, what stops working when you remove it?

If there's a fuse in there, what makes you think you can just dispense with the protection it is providing and replace it with a "connection plate"?

Post a photo of it......

BAS
Thanks for the reply, and apologies for the vagueness. It's clear I'm at fault for not carrying out a proper inspection (hence my frustration at discovering this at this late stage).
Apologies also about the "connection plate" (whatever that is!). It must have been past my brain's bedtime - an FCU.
The strange thing is that nothing stops working when I take the fuse out. It's on the same circuit as the lights, and they continue to function.

I'm not sure what to do for the best. I'm loathe to rip up the carpets and favour the FCU, but with a 1amp fuse ? Also I hate mysterious wires.
I'll try to get a photo posted.

Forebearance greatly appreciated.

What height is it? could it be a connection point for an electric clock?

Sponsored Links
It is in the lounge/diner, above the door, and just below ceiling height.
It appears to come from under the floorboards on the landing.
Unfortunately I don't remember seeing this particular single core grey cable when I was under there, although there was a collection of 2.5mm ringmain and 1.5mm lighting stuff there (T&E).

try to lay your hands on a digital camera.

Clock connector is a good idea, probably more likely than a fan or a light. Position doesn't sound right for cable TV or fire alarm. Burglar alarm would normally be on ELV not mains voltage abd this would be an odd position for a panel.

I am assuming this is simply a domestic house, not a former office or commercial premises, so not an emergency exit lamp.

BTW - depending on how old and grand the house is - could it have been a Service Bell for the housekeeper or maid?

Nice idea John - but no coconut ! Boring old 3 bed end-of-terrace.
Burglar alarm was in the under-stairs cupboard, wiring to that all resolved and removed. Unlikely connector to electric clock because of position (lounge diner) and is an in-line fuse (on phase, so no neutral to connect to).

Appreciate your time on this guys, potentially a bit of a time waster for you though. Appreciate opinions on an FCU with a 1 amp fuse.......

It's obviously an Aardvark repellent. Seems to be working well.

are sure?!, I can see one right now:

191_otis.jpg

:LOL: :LOL:

simple to find out what it does and if you can live without it: pull the fuse out, and go about your normal business until you find something not working. Guarranteed!:cool:

crafty1289 said:
simple to find out what it does and if you can live without it: pull the fuse out, and go about your normal business until you find something not working. Guarranteed!:cool:

What if its for something like forced ventilation for something like keeping radon levels down...he'll discover that in a few decades time when he gets cancer :LOL:

Hoping to get the photos uploaded tonight.
All constructive comments re FCU and 1 amp fuse gratefully received.

Dave Prior
President, Aardvark Owners Club

thats an electric clock connector, the fuse dosn't in any way protect any fixed wiring so if you don't wan't an electric clock there it can be safely blanked off (with any wires feeding it placed in terminal block(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back