Wifi central heating control

I think you'll be surprised at how pointless it really is.

And trust me, if there is a gadget I am likely to buy it.

The BG option is certainly pants as you are forced into their contract for it to work.

What contract?

Works great for me. Can see what temp my house is in winter while I am several thousand miles away and change the settings if I think there is a risk of damage, can switch my heating on at the airport and have a toasty house when I arrive, or if I am home I can save energy by switching it on and off remotely as required depending on when I am due back in.

My gas bill dropped when I installed it.

Sponsored Links
If you are a bit geeky and happy to tinker then you can achieve the same thing by hooking a raspberry pi in series with the thermostat and controlling it via Google calendar. You can log into Google calendar from anywhere and turn it off and on.

I did read up about this, as I quite like a good tinker. But it's not that straightforward, esp. interfacing to a thermostat (though people have taken a whole bunch of approaches, including individual room control).

Sometime though it's good to just have something that works. Or something now, rather than in 6 months when the supply of roundtuits is a bit limited :)

If you are a bit geeky and happy to tinker then you can achieve the same thing by hooking a raspberry pi in series with the thermostat and controlling it via Google calendar. You can log into Google calendar from anywhere and turn it off and on.

I did read up about this, as I quite like a good tinker. But it's not that straightforward, esp. interfacing to a thermostat (though people have taken a whole bunch of approaches, including individual room control).

Sometime though it's good to just have something that works. Or something now, rather than in 6 months when the supply of roundtuits is a bit limited :)

Though it appears that the Heatmiser protocol is documented, and there are open source projects for it.

Voice controlled CH anyone :)

Sponsored Links

The BG option is certainly pants as you are forced into their contract for it to work.

What contract?

Works great for me. Can see what temp my house is in winter while I am several thousand miles away and change the settings if I think there is a risk of damage, can switch my heating on at the airport and have a toasty house when I arrive, or if I am home I can save energy by switching it on and off remotely as required depending on when I am due back in.

So once fitted you no longer have to pay BG a penny?

What contract?

So once fitted you no longer have to pay BG a penny?

Nope. Nothing. :)

Hi ,

I'm looking to replace my current central heating thermostat - dial (satchwell) and separate timer broken potterton ep2000 in the back of a cupboard.

What I'd like is a wifi enabled controller.

Anyone have any recommendations of what I could replace it with?
Heatmiser seems to be have several models.
I'd like to be able to change the temperature, turn on/off and change the programme via the web.
Anyone got and feedback of product they've used or installed?

Thanks

I can't believe this is really necessary for anyone. Or has the world
gone techno mad.

It is more useful than you can imagine.
Once you've seen one installation, you'll understand its applications.

A typical domestic installation will be collecting numerous bits of data (flow temperature, return temp, outside air, system pressure, boiler firing rate, cylinder, faults, etc).

A bit of memory would allow you to pull that data up on a screen, see what the boiler was doing last week and the point at which things went wrong. Some other bit of technology would allow you to transmit that data over the internet. You could look at a boiler from home and see what fault code has come up.

Similarly, a fault alarm could be transmitted to the service contractor and a technician could be on the doorstep before the customer realised there was a fault. I've done exactly that; it was 20 years ago.

Domestic heating controls need to catch up with the rest of the world.

The IP technology is dirt cheap now, it's only a matter of time before it becomes commonplace.

There is no charge for the bg one once fitted and no maintenance contract required. I've fitted them on oil fired systems and bg don't work on oil boilers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back