Wifi central heating control

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi ,

I'm looking to replace my current central heating thermostat - dial (satchwell) and separate timer broken potterton ep2000 in the back of a cupboard.

What I'd like is a wifi enabled controller.

Anyone have any recommendations of what I could replace it with?
Heatmiser seems to be have several models.
I'd like to be able to change the temperature, turn on/off and change the programme via the web.
Anyone got and feedback of product they've used or installed?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I have fitted a few of these, only for people who work in IT though, you need to know about IP addresses, port mapping and other settings within your router, setting static IP's, sorting out the firewall etc

I install them, if the customer buys them only, then any problems the user has is with the manufacturer and not me else i would be on the phone all day explaining how they remote into the router/what's an IP address etc

The Heatmiser kit works well, and we've installed as both standalone system, and integrated into Control4. There is also an app for both apple and android.

Whoever is installing needs to not only know how to wire it into the heating system, which is fairly straight foward, and also how to setup Dynamic DNS, how to assign the kit a static IP address on the network and port fowarding on the router so you can access it via the web. It also helps if they know how to route and terminate Cat5e cable. None of it is rocket science, but can lead to excessive hair pulling when it dosen't work because one small detail has been missed.

I'm pretty geeky and aren't phased by the IT part of the setup.

I've had the following setups come up in conversation.

http://www.theowl.com/products/intuitionc.php

The other option is to get someone from British gas supply and fit one.
http://www.britishgas.co.uk/products-and-services/hive-active-heating.html
That comes with a 1 year warranty .

Both look simple enough for my needs.

I'd get an qualified person to install the thermostat part and I'd take care of the IT / Internet enablement.
Having done some quick research on the web I'm really surprised how few products there are to do this.
I expect it will pay back easily in a year, not heating my flat while I'm out.

I just want to select something reliable on the heating / thermostat end.

Sponsored Links
I've been considering such things. What I am wary about with the Owl and BG products is that they seem to rely on a server elsewhere on the internet for controlling the the thermostat. This has probably has advantages in terms of easier settup and ease of changing/improving the web interface, storing historical data etc..

This disadvantage is that if the web service is removed for some reason (company closure, lack of users, etc. - a number of product linked web services have closed over the years) then it looks like you can't access the device and all you have a dumb thermostat again.

With the Heatmiser, the web server is built into the device, so you contact that directly, so if Heatmiser go bust, then it will still work.

(and BG only do an isntalled option, so price not so attractive as I would rather DIY)

Hi ,

I'm looking to replace my current central heating thermostat - dial (satchwell) and separate timer broken potterton ep2000 in the back of a cupboard.

Anyone have any recommendations of what I could replace it with?
Heatmiser seems to be have several models.
I'd like to be able to change the temperature, turn on/off and change the programme via the web.
Anyone got and feedback of product they've used or installed?

Thanks

I can't believe this is really necessary for anyone. Or has the world
gone techno mad.

Hi ,

gone techno mad.

Most of what we have nowadays isn't neccessary - certainly not central heating, so really, neccesity isn't much of a useful criteria. Surely in this context things like, is it useful, does it make my life easier/nicer/more comfortable, does it save me money, does it save me wasting energy etc. are more useful criteria.

A problem with standard CH controls is that they don't really allow for flexibility very easily. OK, it's fine if you go out to work at the same time every day, etc. but lots of peopel don't neccesarily have such regular patterns. We certainly don't. One tuesday we are in all day, next week we might be out or away at the weekend etc. standard controls don't easily accomodate this really. A best you might get a holiday function. OK you can turn it off, but then you come home to a cold house.

Being able to pull out my phone and tell the heating to stay off until x time, or turn it on as i'm coming home early etc. with a couple of clicks would probably save us a fair bit of money over the year (esp. as we have an old and expensive to heat house). (Actually, what I want it to do is be able to refer to my online calendar, and turn the heating on for me at the right time - which should be quite doable).

I think you'll be surprised at how pointless it really is.

And trust me, if there is a gadget I am likely to buy it.

The BG option is certainly pants as you are forced into their contract for it to work.

Hi ,

gone techno mad.

Most of what we have nowadays isn't neccessary - certainly not central heating, so really, neccesity isn't much of a useful criteria. Surely in this context things like, is it useful, does it make my life easier/nicer/more comfortable, does it save me money, does it save me wasting energy etc. are more useful criteria.

A problem with standard CH controls is that they don't really allow for flexibility very easily. OK, it's fine if you go out to work at the same time every day, etc. but lots of peopel don't neccesarily have such regular patterns. We certainly don't. One tuesday we are in all day, next week we might be out or away at the weekend etc. standard controls don't easily accomodate this really. A best you might get a holiday function. OK you can turn it off, but then you come home to a cold house.

Being able to pull out my phone and tell the heating to stay off until x time, or turn it on as i'm coming home early etc. with a couple of clicks would probably save us a fair bit of money over the year (esp. as we have an old and expensive to heat house). (Actually, what I want it to do is be able to refer to my online calendar, and turn the heating on for me at the right time - which should be quite doable).

True it is all possible but at the end of the day when the novelty has worn off. Will you be bothered? Will you remember to do it? Will you care?
I have seen complicated controls dropped simply because the people in the house were unable to work them.

gone techno mad.

Than you are being pretty short sighted to be perfectly honest.

How about someone who is quadriplegic, (neck down paralysed), and the only way really for you to have any control of your enviroment is via a computer that reads your eye movement. Wouldn't you be really glad of a "gadjet" that would let you use that computer to turn the heat up if your cold ? open a window when your too hot, lock your doors at night, turn on the TV, the lights, the sprinklers in the garden ...................... The list of whats possible is all pretty long, and "techno mad" as you see it, but believe me when I say that this type of technology vastly improves quality of life for some people.

I know that if I was in a situation like that I would consider it necessary.

The reason for replacing is the timer isn't working.
I work an irregular shift pattern, so I'd have to reprogram constantly.
I'd love to be able to turn on while I'm coming home.
I just have the manual thermostat, then I inevitably forget to turn it off and it's on all day heating an empty place.
With the cost of energy, (it's not going to get cheaper) I can't afford to do that. I expect it will pay for itself in a year to 18 months.

Does anyone else have an alternate solution for my needs ?

If you are a bit geeky and happy to tinker then you can achieve the same thing by hooking a raspberry pi in series with the thermostat and controlling it via Google calendar. You can log into Google calendar from anywhere and turn it off and on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back