Will You Take Up The Ofer Of 350 Pounds A Month??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
Palau
Refugees from the Ukraine coming to England. On the whole, they will be Young ladies, and mothers with young children.

Our Gov is offering 350 pounds. They've not been clear if it's per person, if it's taxable and what you exactly need to do, IE befriend them, help and support them or leave them to their own capabilities and just provided a room/proerty.

Have you considered this?

We have and won't but if any refugees local to us we will provide support by way of clothing and other essential items.

Sponsored Links
£350/ month won't be taxable.
It would probably be cash for food and clothing because I suppose housing will be provided to them.
To answer your question: yes, I would take it.
If I had to run away from my country because of war, I would be grateful for any help and surely not complain that it's not enough.
Don't forget that to reach UK they have to cross many safe countries, so apart from people who have relatives here, why are the others not claiming asylum in the first safe country they reach?
Could it be that uk offers more than other countries?
Or they really love our tropical climate?

£350/ month won't be taxable.
It would probably be cash for food and clothing because I suppose housing will be provided to them.
To answer your question: yes, I would take it.
If I had to run away from my country because of war, I would be grateful for any help and surely not complain that it's not enough.
Don't forget that to reach UK they have to cross many safe countries, so apart from people who have relatives here, why are the others not claiming asylum in the first safe country they reach?
Could it be that uk offers more than other countries?
Or they really love our tropical climate?

Thank you, very noble of you. We must never forget that many in England may want to help but dont have the room, time or be worried about having someone in their home they don't know and possible implications of the goodwill backfiring.

We are all for to help as per my post no matter what country refugees are from.

We will help in other ways.

The 350 and if it is like you said, there will be hardly anything left and people, many are worried re gas and electric bills and possibly losing their single occupation coucil tax status so that needs to be considered along with

Any tax implications
Buildings insurance
Contnents insurance

And in the back of people minds, do they really know the person they are letting in

Once they ahve considered the above and gone through all risk assessments for ALL sides, then is the time to go for it.

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure yet. Ellals up for it though - no questions asked. (y)

Last edited:
If I had the space then I'd definitely be considering it but not because of some paltry amount like £350 per month.

if i was to offer help to a family i would only get £305 as i would loose my 25% single council tax discount
on top off that say 25% more on gas/electric/water charges so perhaps £45-55 a week left ??

if i was to offer help to a family i would only get £305 as i would loose my 25% single council tax discount
on top off that say 25% more on gas/electric/water charges so perhaps £45-55 a week left ??

Thank you. Exactly what I have said re others poss just seeing the 350 and atm not knowing the impacts, financial impacts on them.

Be aware as I said in my earlier post re implications to :

Council Tax
Tax
Energy bills
Water bills if you have a meter
Buildings insurance
Contests insurance
Price of food
And if you live in social housing your single status rent is possibly not sure how that works and any benefits you get.
NB: Something you also need to be fully aware of, you will be DBS checked rightly so but
will the people coming to your home be checked and what about their MH etc. Therefore be vey aware of what can go
wrong and I am advocating that those that take up a room in someone's home have a meeting first and a couple of hours chat.

I'm sure many people are willig to help out for free but to be realistic most are already hardpressed by recent massive inflations

As I said we plan to help but give stuff that is needed and possibly befriend/help people if required all via offical routes.

only people that want to help will help the money will probably not actually matter other than make the equation possible as in i can afford financially to help rather than i wont have enough so cant afford to help

only people that want to help will help the money will probably not actually matter other than make the equation possible as in i can afford financially to help rather than i wont have enough so cant afford to help

True. The gov has still not made clear what exactly is being offered and what guidance is being given as there are plenty of pitfalls. IMO, if we do get more than 50k coming over the gov may increase the amount but I don't see many coming over. The 350 pounds does help those wanting to help anyways EG if they have family/friends here.

It's not practical for me unfortunately, small property, one main living space, WFH. Unworkable. If I had a bigger place or a granny annex then yes, 100%.

It's not practical for me unfortunately, small property, one main living space, WFH. Unworkable. If I had a bigger place or a granny annex then yes, 100%.

one of our children has a granny annexe came with the property and atm used as an office and this has a large bedsitter, kitchen shower and bathroom own access down the side and rear. They can move the office to to the dining room or spare bedroom but they too fear what I partially feared, IE you don't really know the person/s coming into your home and therefore no but my family is willing to volunteer and buy stuff for these groups if required locally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back