windows & damp?

jal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Happy new year to everyone - not sure if this is in the correct section of the forum.

Basically, every morning my front bedroom windows are drenched with water dripping inside & have noticed over some period of time that some black stuff like damp around the side of the sills on the plaster have appeared. Also on the corner of the nearest wall is showing some signs of these black stuff..

I've attached a picture in the following links to show what i mean.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/267/img0173qs.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/408/img0174tv.jpg/

This is only seems to happen in the winter! I'm guessing this is down no to ventilation?

Any suggestions or advice please?

Sponsored Links
You are in the wrong section. use the "Alert Mods" button below, right and ask them to move it for you to Building.

You've guessed right in the solution. You need more ventilation and/or insulation.

My guess is that you have an older type house, double skin, no cavity, walls, no wall insulation and single glazing to windows.
The mould is probably only appearing on the inside of external walls.

You are in the wrong section. use the "Alert Mods" button below, right and ask them to move it for you to Building.

You've guessed right in the solution. You need more ventilation and/or insulation.

My guess is that you have an older type house, double skin, no cavity, walls, no wall insulation and single glazing to windows.
The mould is probably only appearing on the inside of external walls.

Thanks for the reply - ive got no cavity walls or insulation. Windows are double glaze but due for a change! The mould is appearing around the side of the windows and appearing on the inside of the external wall.

Would fitting a brick vent from outside at the top help with the problem?

Or what would you suggest?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back