Wired Alarm - any reason not go with Veritas?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We'll be moving home soon and one of the first jobs I'll be doing is installing a security system (intruder, smoke detectors and communicator) When I did this in our current property 10 years ago the recommendation was to go with a Texecom Veritas R8, which was pretty simple to fit and has been very reliable.

Is there any reason not to go with another Veritas system (albeit the Excel version) or is it considered a bit old hat now and I should be looking at a different make/model ?

Also what communicator would you guys recommend as I'll be leaving the old Pyronix behind

Cheers

Jim

Sponsored Links
I've never had a good experience with domestic Texecom panels! But maybe thats just me.

I tend to stick with Honeywell Galaxy G2 panels but add the Cooper SD1 where basic autodialling is required.

Run 4-core cabling from each detector to the panel, except for the bell box which requires 5 cores (run 6-core cable).

I like an LCD display...

I'd always run cable with spare cores - you never know when the cable could be damaged by a staple, mouse or snagged on a sharp edge. 4 core for contacts, six for detectors and eight for the bell. The SD1 is basic and fine; the SD2 is much more friendly (and more expensive). We use the Pyronix for GSM comms (but a wired dialler will be better and cheaper than GSM).

Fitted many of these over time and can confirm the are super reliable and one of the easier wired panels to configure....

We tend to use the texecom SD1 speech dialler in conjunction....works nicely...remember you will need a filter if there is broadband on site....

Ring 01291 421111 and ask to speak with Max......he has all on the shelf...tell him Matt from Response recommended him :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replys, couple more questions though

1. Why does the bell need 8 core, do you double up some of the wires ?

2. E999 are you recommending the veritas or G2 panel :)

Cheers

(1) You need five cores. If you've got eight core cable, use it! You never know when a squirrel will start chomping in your loft. Also, there's nothing worse than standing on top of your ladder and cocking something up and having to run a new cable.

If you've only got six core, take care and you should be fine. ;)

Thanks for the explanation EightyTwo, just for completeness when you say you like an LCD display is that a thumbs up for the Veritas Excel ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back