wireing up 2 spot lights in wall units

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need some help!!! i have just got 2 wall units and put them up, on the wall next to them is a wire that use to have a light on it i think. i need to wire that wire to the lights, I have all the bits i need but when i came to look at the wire in the wall there was 1 red wire and 2 other wires with black tape round them!!! so i am not sure which one is the earth and which ine is the - is there any way i can find out which is which?

Sponsored Links
If I am right in what you are saying you have one grey cable which has a red wire, a black wire and one wire that is bare? If so the bare wire is the earth and should be sleeved in green/yellow sleeving.

yes it is a gray cable but there is a red wire which is + but the other 2 have been stripped and have both got black tape round them so not sure which one is which!!!

Sponsored Links
trace it back to the grey main sleeving,
the one in the middle is earth. (always is)
get green and yellow sleeving or tape,
remove the black sleeving on the earth
resleeve it with the green/yellow tape/sleve
also try and post a picture of the recovered wire just so we know its right if possible. if you dont know how clicky here:
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=73320

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back