wireless alarm questions

I had a local installer come around. He was particularly keen on wired solutions, but offers both wired and wireless (scantronic or honeywell G2). There is no monitoring involved, the system can call 4 keyholders via a speechdialer, over the landline.

He seemed very decent and has good reviews. His quote is in the £600 range but for the work required to do a wired system this cost can be justified. On the other hand the wireless is more (£800) due to the higher cost of the system as he said. External sounder is same in both cases and asking another £170 for the speechdialer. As a remote scenario, I am wondering what happens if a burglar cuts off the landline on the outside though.

The main issue is unfortunately that a few months ago I decorated the house and did not plan for an alarm wire around - with wireless in mind. So I am not prepared to have carpets lifted again, re-decorate bits and bobs around, the hustle of moving all that furniture and messing with the floorboards upstairs, the loft, it is pretty inconvenient.

In which case I'd prefer to stick with a wireless solution - albeit some parts of the system will need wiring. The cost is roughly similar with the monitored systems in the long run, have not decided yet...

Sponsored Links
Fit a gsm speech dialer then it's up to you to remember to top up sim or buy a contract sim !

............................................... As a remote scenario, I am wondering what happens if a burglar cuts off the land line on the outside though....................................
Trust him, if he is prepared to hard wire (best option) he obviously is confident in his workmanship, listen to the professional.

Over many years in the trade I've seen both good and bad installations, the good win hands down though.
If it helps you just check with him that his insurance is well up to date.

Also most remote signalling devices have a line fault fault monitor included, this can be configured to activate the alarm in that situation.

Does that help?

Sponsored Links
The thing I like about the Honeywell Galaxy range, is that it's so expandable and all the modules are compatible across the range. This means that they're always available at low cost via Ebay.

With the Honeywell G2, adding an RF portal switches the panel from hard wired to hybrid, allowing for a mixture of wired and two way wireless where required.

If you have broadband, you can also integrate IP based communications by adding an IP module for less than £50. This allows you to connect back to the panel with your smartphone and control it as if you were at the keypad. The IP comm's also allows for detailed event messaging via SMS, Voice and Email. There's also line path checking to let you know if the event reporting has stopped for any reason.

Fit a gsm speech dialer then it's up to you to remember to top up sim or buy a contract sim !

They come at a pretty price... :cry:

The GSM version of the Menvier landline dialler he recommended seems to be around £250+

Also most remote signalling devices have a line fault fault monitor included, this can be configured to activate the alarm in that situation.

This was one of my questions and the answer was that cutting off the line will not signal the alarm. It will still trigger though but no good for having a speech dialer over landline then.

I think the option of an sms/email module is far better for me but I didn't know they are so expensive.

The thing I like about the Honeywell Galaxy range, is that it's so expandable and all the modules are compatible across the range.

If you have broadband, you can also integrate IP based communications by adding an IP module for less than £50. This allows you to connect back to the panel with your smartphone and control it as if you were at the keypad. The IP comm's also allows for detailed event messaging via SMS, Voice and Email. There's also line path checking to let you know if the event reporting has stopped for any reason.

This is the most favourable option to me...though costs seem eye watering.

The installation with four sensors and RF module, Texecom Odyssey 3E sounder and internal sounder comes at £800. Then another £175 required for the speech dialler over landline (will be lots more for GSM), plus £65 annual maintenance cost.

Really hard to decide as the figures are same with the other companies who include their maintenance costs. I'm not sure how well the other wireless systems perform compared to the Galaxy, Pyronix (Secom) or Visonic (ADT).

The hardware is about £350 including an IP module, so £450 for install of a wireless system when you're signing up for maintenance is probably at the higher end.

It's a pity you're not up to DIY'ing it...

The hardware is about £350 including an IP module, so £450 for install of a wireless system when you're signing up for maintenance is probably at the higher end.

It's a pity you're not up to DIY'ing it...

I am pretty sure I can install the system and program it eventually, but it's one of those things you don't want to cock up. So I would prefer a pro to take responsibility for the installation.

It's just too expensive for my budget at the moment...

I don't mean to start a war among knowledgeable people but have to ask.

In terms of reliability among wireless systems, where does Pyronix stand? And what questions should I be asking in terms of the equipment quality, i.e what PIRs being used, should be two way, modules included etc ?

Just to add, I fitted a Visonic PowerMaster system in the summer to a property that due to being fully decorated was a no-go for a wired system.

Totally wireless, apart from mains to the panel of course, it couldn't be much easier to install. Once you understand some of the Visonic terminology the configuration was straightforward too. I didn't even have to post on here for help!

I chose the PowerMaster over the PowerMax for the newer technology and greater battery life of the peripherals however, the PowerMax systems are cheaper and similar in features (better in some!) so definitely worth investigating. Overall though I have been pleased with the features, build quality and, so far, reliability.

You can start off with a kit (panel, 2 PIRs, siren, door contact, remote keyfobs) and add to it as and when you like - extra PIRs, contacts, shocks, sirens etc etc etc. Telephone event notification via a landline is built-in but the GSM module is definitely a worthwhile addition.

I chose the PowerMaster over the PowerMax for the newer technology and greater battery life of the peripherals however, the PowerMax systems are cheaper and similar in features (better in some!) so definitely worth investigating. Overall though I have been pleased with the features, build quality and, so far, reliability.

Very helpful, do you know if ADT use either of the above or have their own custom models?

edit: to answer my own question, having looked at their brochures it appears like modified control panels of the PowerMaster series, so it's probably that.

Very helpful, do you know if ADT use either of the above or have their own custom models?

edit: to answer my own question, having looked at their brochures it appears like modified control panels of the PowerMaster series, so it's probably that.

I'm certainly no expert but yes as you've found I would (almost) put money on ADT using nothing more than a rebranded products. The Visonic systems are designed to easily link to a monitoring system so I would guess all ADT do is program their details in and that's that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back