wiring 2 loads up in in parallel to drop voltage (ed: he means in series)

Forgot to say; I only bought the one lamp. But there where lots in stock so when I go to Aldi Friday I will buy the other, if there are no objections to this not working
As I wrote, I would thing there is a very good chance of it simply working in the way you would like, but there's no total guarantee until you try.

As you will probably have gathered from the discussion, the most important thing is that, if possible, the two lamps should be identical.

Kind Regards, John

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Yes if you wire filament lamps in series and they are very equally made then you should get a pretty even(ish) result. I would expect most mismatches if they were made by different manufacturers but also different batches can offset them too. With non-filament lamps such as LED ones I am not sure how they would compare.
Also any LED ones with inbuilt regulators of some type might suffer less from variations providing that they get inputs that allow them to work.

There are not so many filament lamps knocking about these days for anybody who wants to try this series comparison at different voltages either.

So some people now say!

However, as I often point out, as a result one now sometimes has to "put lamps in lamps" - and that tends to totally confuse the staff in retail establishments :)

Kind Regards, John
I wonder how many folks put lamps in gardens John? ;)

I wonder how many folks put lamps in gardens John? ;)
Indeed, it doesn't work that way around.

However, as I said, it seems that these days I am expected to put lamps into my (table, standard, desk, head, inspection etc.) lamps ;)

Try what I've done a number of times - go into a retailer and tell them that you want a lamp for your table lamp, headlamp or whatever and look at their faces. Alternatively ask them to direct you to the part of their store where you can find their 'lamps' (and see where you end up!) :)

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Safer to say "I want a lamp for my light/light fitting/luminaire " but that one kills the age old joke of lamps in holders and bulbs in gardens. A bit akin to the "My sink in;) my bathroom" scenario.

I will not mention someone doing the Hoovering with their Dyson or Electricians Meggering with a Fluke.

However, as I often point out, as a result one now sometimes has to "put lamps in lamps" - and that tends to totally confuse the staff in retail establishments :)
Since when have staff in retail establishments been the definitive authority on such matters?

Some even call a fused connector unit a spur.

Yes Including some Electricians too

I`ll not mention ring mains or ring finals or Live v Line either

Since when have staff in retail establishments been the definitive authority on such matters?
They obviously aren't.

In fact, no-one (no individual, body or organisation) is 'the definitive authority on such matters" in relation to the English language. Such matters are essentially determined by 'current usage'.

However, for the language to serve its purpose, if it would be nice if I could easily 'communicate clearly' with everyone, including the staff in retail establishments.

Kind Regards, John

Safer to say "I want a lamp for my light/light fitting/luminaire " ...
The trouble is that those who have tried to change the word we use for the things which radiate light have, on the whole, not done likewise with the other things that such a change impacts on.

I dare say some people have 'changed', but I don't think you will find many people talking about "table lights" or "standard lights" etc., will you?

As for "luminaire", I very much doubt whether you would find a significant proportion of the general public who ever use that word. Indeed, many/most would probably regard it as "foreign" :)

BTW, it's Thursday - Friday is tomorrow ;)

Kind Regards, John

In fact, no-one (no individual, body or organisation) is 'the definitive authority on such matters" in relation to the English language. Such matters are essentially determined by 'current usage'.
Agreed - one example just look at how many folk in the UK pronounce "Data" just like those Americans but would never dream of pronouncing Tomato and Math and Colin and Iraq like they do

Agreed - one example just look at how many folk in the UK pronounce "Data" just like those Americans but would never dream of pronouncing Tomato and Math and Colin and Iraq like they do
Indeed. In fact, one doesn't really have to look across the pond for marked variation in 'English' (both words and their pronunciation), since there is considerable variation within the UK, even within England.

When EFLI (frequently) makes comments about what use of language he does (and doesn't) regard as correct', one has to wonder what region of the country he is thinking of!

As for 'data', it is a word that I often have to write/type hundreds of times in a day and, despite years of protesting that "I speak and write English, not Latin", I eventually had to give up and treat it as plural.

The odd thing about those who have 'forced' me to do that, is that they don't seem to think the same about other comparable words - e.g."Agenda" is nearly always treated as singular.

Kind Regards, John

Surely their Data (day-ta), Tomato, Colin and Iraq pronunciations are actually correct; there being only one consonant.

Surely their Data (day-ta), Tomato, Colin and Iraq pronunciations are actually correct; there being only one consonant.
Correct in terms of some alleged 'rules' but, in English', there are so many accepted exceptions to rules that it's very hard to really know what is meant to be 'correct'.

For example .... it was probably decades before I realised this but I presume that, like me, you were brought up with the spelling 'rule' which said " I before E except after C" - but the more one thinks about it, the more 'accepted' exceptions to that 'rule' one comes across!

Kind Regards, John

If not Live then Dead ( as in test for dead )
If not Line then what ?

The general public understand Live, A few may be bi-lingual and use both Live and Line ( telephone Linesmen for example )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back