wiring a 3 way light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi just a little bit of help please......

I have put in a new 3 way switch in my garage to accomodate a new o/s light front and back ,The problem is i dont seem to have a neutral back from the original wire .I can see that it it goes....
power from c/unit to j/box then to light switch back to a switch live in the j/box....i understand this but when i started to wire the to lights in to common and L1s i found that there was no return neutral its being used as switched live ......can i somehow move around these wires to 2return a neutral

Many thanks for your replys ;) ;) :D

Sponsored Links
This is the problem i have just had it all boarded and skimmed :( is there no other way .....could i not somehow use the switched live at the juction box for a return if can wire the existing light feed direct rather than from the j/box?????

I have put in a new 3 way switch in my garage
Do you mean 3-way, or 3-gang? //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:intermediate

to accomodate a new o/s light front and back ,The problem is i dont seem to have a neutral back from the original wire .
Which you would have known if it had occurred to you that perhaps you should have found out how lighting circuits work before you plunged in and started fiddling. :rolleyes:

power from c/unit to j/box then to light switch back to a switch live in the j/box....i understand this
Do you? :confused:

but when i started to wire the to lights in to common and L1s i found that there was no return neutral
Why would someone take a neutral to a switch and then back again?

Stop and think for a minute about what's going to happen if you have both lives and neutrals connected to COMs & L1s in switches.

Sponsored Links
Have you currently got two twin and earth cables going from the switch to the junction box?? With a multi meter have you got two permanant lives at the switch?? are they both on the same lighting circuit?? Can you work out what I am getting at?

So at the switch you orginally only had one twin+earth cable?

Is it the walls and ceiling boarded and skimmed?

Is the junction box accessible? If so you could reconnect the old switch wire so it becomes permanent live and neutral (and earth). This could then supply a 2 gang switch for the new outside lights. Then fish a new switch cable from the junction box to a ceiling mounted pull switch, to control the garage light.

If the junction box is inaccessible, or you don't like pull switches, is there a socket near the existing switch that you can fish a cable from to feed a switched fused spur unit that will serve the outside lights?

ok thanks for all your replies BAN ALL SHEDS I know you mean well but please not everybody is as good as you :eek: its just a question which im gratefull for decent UNPATRANISING replies .
Anyway its being sorted so thanks again every body :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ?

OH ITS A 3 GANG SWITCH ,

If you don't learn that it is utter folly to try and do things when you KNOW that you don't understand them then you are doomed to a life of things going wrong for you over and over and over again.

This time your lights were a pain.

Next time you could die.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back